Xenon headlights - beam adjustments

Keith

Could anyone tell me if what the local BMW dealer told me is true. He says dipped xenon headlights shine forwards and therefore do not need adjustment on the continent. I can only assume it is true since the lights apparently become so hot you cannot stick things on the front anyway.

My other question is do you think the French police know about this or will they stop and fine me anyway

Many thanks

I'm not so sure - maybe depends on the model.  I found this on BMW land forum (which is excellent by the way) referring to e46 xenon adjustment for driving on opposite side of the road.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=57720&highlight=xenon+abroad

And another; seems to me you should have a switch on the back of the headlight unit????

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=52973&highlight=xenon+abroad

Try searching the forum for your model - if you get no joy then post the question there......

Ric

I have a French 5 series with ordinary headlamps and there is no adjustment for driving on the left - I assume this is standard for everywhere in Europe (except for that liitle Island....)

I downloaded the English manual to see if there was anything of interest and it shows an adjustment lever on the back of the headlamp unit.  I presume this is just for UK spec cars.

When I visit the UK, I just use the little winder on the dashboard to lower the beam - which seems to work OK.

I took a Mercedes Sprinter over some time ago. Getting to the port I realised I did not have any deflectors. I looked at the headlight and could not see where to fit them and there were no deflectors for vans for sale in the shop. Going back to the van I noticed that none of the waiting vans had deflectors.

Do vans need them?

If you have ordinary headlamps then no there is no adjustment, on either UK or Euro spec models.  Adjustment for driving on the opposite side of the road for ordinary headlamps is by virtue of replacing the light unit.  Only the Xenon's offer the switchable left/right adjuster on the back of the lamp.

[quote user="Heller"]

I can only assume it is true since the lights apparently become so hot you cannot stick things on the front anyway.

[/quote]

Who told you Xenons get very hot?

Since they are rated at 35W against the 60W of a halogen, and since all the 35W is supplied as light, no heat, (there is no filament)) a Xenon ought to run COOLER than a halogen.

I know my Hella HID driving lights do. I have soft-ish plastic covers over them to guard against stone chips etc, and they don't even get warm.

[quote user="RicandJo"]

If you have ordinary headlamps then no there is no adjustment, on either UK or Euro spec models.  Adjustment for driving on the opposite side of the road for ordinary headlamps is by virtue of replacing the light unit.  Only the Xenon's offer the switchable left/right adjuster on the back of the lamp.

[/quote]

Not true.

Having had a 3 series and a 7 series, both with non xenon lights I can guarantee that there is an adjustment for lh / rh dip. It needs a screwdriver but is described fully in the manual. The 7 was UK spec the 3 was German spec and both were adjustable.

OK - just to clarify!

In essence YES as the euro lights are primarily set for right hand dipping and uk lights are set for left hand dipping.  both are adjustable for occasional
across border use rhd - lhd but this will only align the lamps to vertical dip which does not meet uk regs nor euro regs for vehicles registered in their
respective countries - eg  UK vehicle in UK.  The vertical dip arrangement is only legal for visitor use.  The car will NOT pass UK MOT nor TUV tests with
vertical dip lights.

If you are importing you car permanently you do have to replace the light unit.

And yes I have a 3 series too............e46.