Buying an English-Registered car

la-vie-en-rose

Hi.

We are thinking of buying a 5 year old car, currently owned by English people and brought over from England.   They declared it exported on the English registration document, but have not registered it in France.

I cannot see how to easily arrange for the transfer of ownership to us, unless either they register it in France and then sell it to us, or some-one knows how to transfer ownership on the English paperwork when it's already been declared as exported!  (and when both parties are resident in France, and the car will be staying here).

We know about the registration process - we really need advice on the transfer of ownership, if any-one can help...

Thanks!

If it's been here for over a month, they were obliged to re-register it.  As you know doubt know (and shortly this thread will turn into one about the evils of not registering cars here - according to my crystal ball and the tea-leaves) they have been breaking the law if they did not do so.  Therefore, I reckon it's up to them to re-register it.

The UK (DVLA) will have no interest in the car as as far as they are concerned it is now "off the books."

It is perfectly possible for you to buy the car then register it in your name.  All you need is proof that you are now the legal owner of the vehicle - in other words, documentary proof that the original registered owner as shown on the V5C sold the vehicle to you.  A certificate de cession would suffice.

If I was you, I'd tell them that as the owners, they were legally required to register it and pay the registration fee, otherwise it's an illegal car.  I'd then offer to save them the bother by registering it directly into my name - on condition they still pay for the certificate of conformity and the registration fee....[8-|]