telepeage doofer

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with some advice on the following queries I have regarding "doofers"?

1)   I have seen other posts on here that mention registering a French debit card or an English credit card when applying on line. Does anyone know whether it is possible to register an English debit card?

2)   Does the doofer work with every toll in France or is there an exception to this rule? As there seems to be with most rules!

3)   If the doofer is not used for a period of time does it become inactive?

I have this fear of being in the auto lane with a queue of French drivers stuck behind me and my dodgy doofer!

many thanks

We bought an ASF doofer last week while in France, but used our French bank account, via direct debit. This was at a branch of Norauto (similar to Halfords, it seems), & it started immediately for our return trip. However, those from Sanef say you can use a card.

Ours didn't cost anything upfront; we expected to pay 30 euros, as on the adverts, so that was a bonus. It will cost 2 euros per month, but there will be no charge for any month we don't use it.

As far as we are aware, they can be used on all autoroutes, and don't become inactive. We haven't seen any queues for using them, which makes it very nice to sail through. I suppose, rather like Ryanair's priority boarding, as they become more popular, there may be queues - or perhaps they will open more doofer lanes.

Another bonus is that it can be used for free parking in Vinci carparks, one of which we have used a few times; plus there were other benefits, which I can't remember just now.

We certainly found it useful last week, & we're not into the holiday queue season yet, so can only get better!

Jo

1 Yes. mine (SANEF) is registered to a Nationwide Debit card.

2 Yes, including the Millau viaduct and the Pont de Normandie

3. No, although the battery life is a factor. I've used mine intermittently for over two years so I'm now wondering if the battery is due to run out soon - fingers crossed for the entry on the A16 south of Boulogne next week when I'm due to use it again. At least if it fails there, I should be able to exchange it at the SANEF office there??

Brian (again)

gardengirl

Thanks for lots of information about the costs etc. Just one point: if you look on the ASF web site and follow the link to the Vinci site you can use the doofer to get in and the time you spend there is billed to your doofer default account.