car and caravan doofers

maude

Hi Folks-can anyone enlighten me as to whether these can be used on the autoroutes and where are they ordered from.Would be less pain to use than a bucket full of cash.thanks .Would like one for when towing our caravan.Maude

I haven't used the telepeage doofer, but from memory the lanes reserved for this purpose have a 2 metre height restriction, so I'm not sure how much benefit it woud be in terms of a speedy pass-through. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with experience.

So, if you have to use the normal lane why not just use a credit/bank card? It's very quick, no PIN, and removes the need for loads of cash!

Sid

Correct with the 2m height restriction, which also appears on a lot of the carte bancaire toll booth lanes, but not all of them!!

I guess it does stop stop caravans and vans etc from getting through on the cheap, but I only have a roof box on the roof of a std car, sniff.

[quote user="maude"]Hi Folks-can anyone enlighten me as to whether these can be used on the autoroutes and where are they ordered from.Would be less pain to use than a bucket full of cash.thanks .Would like one for when towing our caravan.Maude
[/quote]

You can only use the telepeage with a standard car,no caravans allowed,height restriction 2mtrs.  

I think with a doofah you can in fact go through any lane, not just the height restricted one. I say this because in the days when we were back and forth with a big box trailer although we had the doofah we went through the pay lanes but on one occasion, although the machine dispensed a ticket the doofah which was tucked away in the glove box still accidentally triggered it too which resulted in the ticket being withdrawn back into the machine and the barrier lifting.

At the other end we got the doofah out but also went for pay lane just in case but the barrier lifted and off we went.

We did this on a few occasions subsequenly and oddly sometimes we were charged class 2 (car + trailer) and sometimes class 1. There appeared to be no consistency to it.

I have never paid for the trailer but maybe because I prefer to use the unmanned credit card only lanes[;-)]

I am considering buying a high top van, how much more do high vehicles get charged on peages?

Oh and I guess I should ask the same question for trowing a trailer as it looks like I wont be able to use the unmanned booths[:(]

Nice to know for sure BAF

I have been over the 2m limit a few tims with my concertina rehausse (greedy boards) without paying extra, I will check out the height restrictions on the unmanned credit card peage barriers that I usually use at Boulogne, Cocquelles or Calais as I am considering a taller vehicle at the moment.