Negotiating car price ASAP !!!!

Nicos

Yesterday we test drove a Renault Megan Scenic DCI 120

CV   luxe Privilige registered 8/3/2004 with 84,000 km on the clock.

Price 13.990 E- 5 seater

So OK...we liked it very much..it needs different plates from 14 to 61 and they

( a main dealer Renault garage) have said they'll change the plates. It needs a

new windscreen ( chipped)- tyres fine , odd bits of scuffs and scratches will

be sorted ......

So ..what do you reckon we can negotiate down to????

I know in the UK

main dealers won't seem to drop more than £500 - but will sort out new

tyres/road tax for 6 months included.

I can be pretty tough if push comes to shove..but we do like the car- and need

one asap.

Full service and whatever the MOT is called included.

( it's got quite a few extras on it- rear sensors,climate control,cruise

control,metallic paint,hands free start and remote locking)

As we are going back to the UK tomorrow, we'll need to put down a deposit today after negotiating the price...so ...help please on what you think would be a good/reasonable deal....

Rotten lot not replying to you.

Sorry, I do not know if there are such publications as Parkers. However, there are online sales sites, like Autotrader in the UK. Sorry, I do not have any web addresses with me but you could try yahoo.fr.

In addition, you could try ebay.fr - some dealers do advertise on there but you will need to factor in an additional amount for dealing with a main dealer.

I would negotiate hard - go in low, you can always come up if you want.

Paul

Thank you both for that!

Update... can't view the car again until tomorrow morning ( bit last minute eh?). So we've got a bit more time to research a 'reasonable' price to negotiate down to!

Any other comments would still be welcomed though........ ( thanks)

If you look at this site then the asking price looks about right by French standards, as long as the faults are put right. Printouts of some of the others for sale there might give you a bit of a lever if you insist on lowering the price. Although the dealer will handle transfer to your name and new plates you normally have to pay separately for the new carte grise, so you could ask for that to be included, that will probably account for a couple of hundred euros. Most of the 'extras' come as part of the standard package with that specification, so don't be swayed by sales talk.

It might be worth asking then to include a new cam belt in the service, although not due quite yet it's a fairly pricey item when you are paying as part of what could well be the next service.

No disrespect intended but I chuckle over questions like this.

You've clearly decided you want the car and the asking price is presumably somewhere close to or within your budget so whatever discount you may or may not be able to negotiate is down to your skill at the game, there are no yardsticks. Unfortunately you say you need a car ASAP which weakens your power substantially.

If it were me and not in a hurry I'd offer 12,000 (cash of course) and take it from there and be 100% prepared to walk away if necessary. Would I care if that insulted the salesman, not on your life [:'(]

[quote user="ErnieY"]If it were me and not in a hurry I'd offer 12,000 (cash of course) and take it from there and be 100% prepared to walk away if necessary. Would I care if that insulted the salesman, not on your life [:'(]

[/quote]

From what I understand of the UK car market dealers get commission from finance companies if they sign purchasers up to a finance deal. Therefore, dealers do not want cash sales - is it the same in France?

Ernie  - I do agree on not worrying about the salesmans feelings and at the end of the day providing a profit is being made they may wish to do a deal - perhaps stronger at the end of the month when they are trying to make their figures.

As it has visible scratches then, even though they will correct this use that for bargaining.

Paul

Update.....didn't get it in the end!!!!

Did more research overnight..thanks to you all for your suggestions - they were all very helpful.

The dealer wasn't prepared to drop much at all, and we just suddenly started to feel that maybe it wasn't going to be the car for us.

I think we were just concerned that we'd be taken for a ride being one of the many wealthy English in France[:-))]

Will now think of a Golf diesel. ...plenty of time to research now that we're back in the UK for the next 3 weeks.

Thanks!

From what I understand of the UK car market dealers get commission from

finance companies if they sign purchasers up to a finance deal.

Therefore, dealers do not want cash sales

That is true but the salesmen also have monthly targets to achieve, "to shift the metal"; in order to do this in the UK they certainly knock off a discount for cash to get a sale.

[quote user="Nicos"]Update.....didn't get it in the end!!!!

Did more research overnight..thanks to you all for your suggestions - they were all very helpful.
The dealer wasn't prepared to drop much at all, and we just suddenly started to feel that maybe it wasn't going to be the car for us.
I think we were just concerned that we'd be taken for a ride being one of the many wealthy English in France[:-))]

Will now think of a Golf diesel. ...plenty of time to research now that we're back in the UK for the next 3 weeks.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Nicos

Always a problem making a purchase in a hurry - can have regrets later.

You now have the luxury of dciding at your leisure and, whilst in the UK, you can try out a few models before going back to France knowing exactly what you want, albeit leaving some UK dealers excited that they might get a sale.

Paul

EDIT - as Madeira Jon says, they have monthly targets so perhaps buying towards the end of the month might see the salesmen more keen on doing a deal.