The law for registering UK car that has French Insurance !

milkeybar kid

[quote user="ErnieY"]Know what ?[/quote]...why I thought there might be a distinction between "using" a foreign vehicle in your country of residence - which everyone told me was prohibited - and just occasionally driving one, which it now appears is OK.

It was only a mild jest.  Forgive me.

I agree with your caution about whether the UK police will be aware of all this!   

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

One for the expat experts!

I have a UK registered car (registered in my name and at my UK address) that I brought over here over 3 years ago and that I dont use, I have not registered it here neither have I declared SORN on it.

What laws am I breaking?

[/quote]

I think I'd be more worried over the pile of fines waiting for you somewhere in the UK. Fines for un-sorned vehicles are automatically generated so as Will has said, it should have been properly exported (by notification).

One for the expat experts!

I have a UK registered car (registered in my name and at my UK address) that I brought over here over 3 years ago and that I dont use, I have not registered it here neither have I declared SORN on it.

What laws am I breaking?

The UK registered car is in your name and address and you live at your address in the UK ?

You have not declared the vehicle off road (SORN)?

Have you told DVLA it has been exported?

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]

The UK registered car is in your name and address and you live at your address in the UK ?

Yes and yes (sometimes!)

You have not declared the vehicle off road (SORN)?

Yes, that is to say no I havn't.

Have you told DVLA it has been exported?

No

[/quote]

Am I breaking any laws?

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="J.Rs gone native"][/quote]

I think I'd be more worried over the pile of fines waiting for you somewhere in the UK. Fines for un-sorned vehicles are automatically generated so as Will has said, it should have been properly exported (by notification).
[/quote]

Ah you are getting very warm Bugbear [:)]

No fines for non declaration of SORN and I dont expect to get any either.

And no it is not taxed or MOT'd or CT'd.

Have you kept the Tax up to date is the crucial point, and by definition the MOT and insurance ?

I'm sure the answer to that question is going to be no in which case the law you have broken is that of not taxing it when it fell due or else SORN'ing, exporting, or scrapping it.

Accordingly, and if it is still registered to your UK address, then notifications and fines will surely have been sent there and if left unanswered and unpaid ultimately the bailiffs will follow.

What is the purpose of the question anyway, are you looking to perhaps repatriate it ?

If the vehicle is untaxed then you will automatically receive at the last registered address a fixed penalty of aroud 80 pounds, as DVLA will assume that the vehicle is in the UK and is untaxed. (unless of course it is exempt from tax)

However it appears that you are playing a game here, why ask the question when you know the answer.

Ok I will stop now although I still do not know the answer to the question that I posed , - namely am I (or have I) actually breaking (broken) any laws?

The game as you call it was to show that not every circumstance is the same.

The car in question is my classic Lotus Elan which I bought to restore (and she is still waiting patiently for me), I bought and registered her before the SORN legislation came into force, she had already been untaxed and off the road for many years.

Conveniently for me I do not have to register her as off the road untill such time as a future excise license lapses.

She is currently in storage in France in the company of some very sexy racing and touring Panhards (some single seater, some lightweight ali bodied endurance racers), I will in all probability finally restore her back in my workshop in the UK unless  I will have sold the house by then.

Clearly for me to declare her "permanently exported" (which to me she isnt) only to then have to reregister in the UK on her possible return woud be opening a can of worms that I would prefer not to.

So given the full story I would like to ask the expat experts the same question.

PS I still have the same UK address that the Elan is registered at, I do receive SORN notifications for my Caterham in the normal manner.