disposal of a vehicle in France

grandadJohn

Our old car has finally given its last and, no we don't want to "scrappage" it for another. (We have a newer car that will do)  Does anybody know the procedure for taking it off the road. My local garagiste says he will take it off my hands, but I want to be sure I'm conforming with the regs as I don't want it coming back to haunt me in a couple of years time in the hands of someone else.  Has any body  been through the procedure?  Thanks   John

I would suggest rather than giving it to a garage (who, if it doesnt go back on the roads, will very probably strip it for parts to re use or sell) that you place a classified ad in the local paper or online and flog it off cheaply. It depends what it is, obviously, but you should still get a couple of hundred euros.

I had a decent Uk-spec 106 diesel a while back, that I no longer used and didnt want to pay to re-register here. A garage owner offered to take it off my hands for no charge, doing me a massive favour?! The engine alone would have been worth 500€.

I sold the whole car on for 600€ in the end. The buyer didnt give a stuff about RHD or UK reg, he was just going to strip it for parts to sell on.