Buying a trailer - (1) what size is allowed? (2) buy in France or UK?

Kitty

I would like to buy a big trailer for use in France.  I have a powerful car and so that's not a problem.

1. What is the maximum sized trailer that I am allowed to tow?

I have done a search on the Forum, including the thread below, but can't understand it.  Both my husband and I passed our driving test (in the UK) a long time before 1997. http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1308875/ShowPost.aspx

2. Is it cheaper to buy in the UK and tow it out here (I already have a summer ferry crossing booked) or to buy in France?

Depends on your driving licence.

If the PTAC (gross weight) of the trailer does not exceed the PV (unladen weight) of the tow car and sum of the PTACs of the tow car and trailer combined does not exceed 3500kg, then category B will suffice.  Otherwise, you'll need to have category (E)B.

As regards cost, you can easily do a price comparison, but bear in mind that to import a UK trailer, you will need a certificate of conformity and they don't come cheap - for example, Ifor Williams are currently charging 300€....

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Depends on your driving licence.

If the PTAC (gross weight) of the trailer does not exceed the PV (unladen weight) of the tow car and sum of the PTACs of the tow car and trailer combined does not exceed 3500kg, then category B will suffice.  Otherwise, you'll need to have category (E)B.

As regards cost, you can easily do a price comparison, but bear in mind that to import a UK trailer, you will need a certificate of conformity and they don't come cheap - for example, Ifor Williams are currently charging 300€....[/quote]

SD - Thanks for your help.  I am completely lost about your paragraph on PTACs, PVs etc.  Where do I find out about the PV of my car?

Why does the trailer have to be imported?  Does it need a carte gris?

I half thought that it was going to be complicated when I started to read the threads.  I haven't been able to do a proper price comparison because I don't know what size I'm allowed.  I have popped into a couple of French garages and am surprised about how expensive they are.

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]Depends on your driving licence.

As regards cost, you can easily do a price comparison, but bear in mind that to import a UK trailer, you will need a certificate of conformity and they don't come cheap - for example, Ifor Williams are currently charging 300€....[/quote]

SD - Thanks for your help.  I am completely lost about your paragraph on PTACs, PVs etc.  Where do I find out about the PV of my car?

I half thought that it was going to be complicated when I started to read the threads.  I haven't been able to do a proper price comparison because I don't know what size I'm allowed.  I have popped into a couple of French garages and am surprised about how expensive they are.[/quote]

PV = Poids vide = empty weight

PTAC= the weight including maximum rated load

These are on the maker's plate (the VIN plate) on the car and trailer. If the trailer is rated at up to 500Kg max including load, then it does not need a carte grise and carries the number plate of the towing vehicle. If it is rated above 500Kg, then it needs its own carte grise and hence its own reg number. Note that what is important is the RATED weight - ie if you buy a trailer that can carry 600 Kg, has an empty weight of 150Kg and you only intend to carry 200Kg in it, it STILL needs a carte grise.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Cathy"]

[/quote]

Everything you bring into France from abroad is imported - including your Tesco baked beans.....[;-)]

Imported motor vehicles and trailers over 500kg must be registered here by law.

No requirement for a COC.

You will be able to buy all the bits here to make your own trailer, if it's under 500kg PTAC  then you will be OK. I guess in theory you should have a plate made up with the weights. But check out the next cut up van/trailer you find and see if they have a plate.

Thanks for the posts. SD - you have a long memory about the baked beans - unless you have spotted me at Tescos Extra in Portsmouth stocking up whilst waiting for the ferry.  It's amazing how many cans you can squeeze into a fully loaded car. [:D]  By the way, they are for my husband.  I prefer spaghetti hoops. [Www]

Back to topic, has anyone worked out whether trailers are cheaper in the UK (plus the cert of conformity) than France?

[quote user="Cathy"]I would like to buy a big trailer for use in France.  I have a powerful car and so that's not a problem.[/quote]It's not just about power. Your vehicle will have a maximum permissible towing weight and it is that which dictates the weight of trailer you can tow.

[quote user="Cathy"]Is it cheaper to buy in the UK and tow it out here (I already have a summer ferry crossing booked) [/quote]But do you have a booking WITH a big trailer ? If not it will cost you to change it, maybe plenty on a high season sailing too.

If you import a trailer which was never officially imported to France then it's highly unlikely that you will be able to get a C of C for it which means that you will have to get it passed by the DRIRE, a process which could take weeks or months and probably cost money in modifying anything they demand to bring it up to French spec. so don't forget to factor this into your price comparisons.