Eyesight requirements for French Driving License

Christopher321

Hi,

I am interested in obtaining a French driving license. I don't have, and have never had, a driving license before, so I would need to start from scratch and take the written/practical exams. I have two questions, which are:

1. For how long must I have lived in France in order to be eligible to apply for a license ?

2. I have found out the basic eyesight requirements (visual acuity of 5/10), but am unsure how this is tested. In some countries you obtain a certificate from an optometrist, whilst in others you must read a number plate on the day of the test. How is it done in France ?

Many Thanks

Chris

1.  There is no time limit for eligibility to apply for a licence.

2.  Eyesight is only checked if the category of licence you are requesting is subject to a medical.  The licence application form contains a box that you tick if you need to wear spectacles for driving.  There is also a box to tick if you only have sight through one eye.

This website gives lots of useful information on obtaining a French licence, including choosing a driving school, sitting the theory exam and the practical driving test.

Thanks for the reply Sunday Driver.

Regarding the eyesight - are you sure the instructor definitely doesn't ask you to read a number plate during the test ? The reason I ask is that someone told me the instructor might ask me to read a number-plate from 30 metres (which seems a long way to me, and has me a bit worried !) - is this not the case ?

Thanks,

Chris

Apologies, Chris - you are right.

The proposal to introduce an eyesight check as part of the driving test was debated in the Senate a couple of years ago when they proposed amending the code de la route to include it as a requirement.  However, the code remains unaltered which led me to believe the proposal had not yet been implemented.  However, on further checking, it seems that an eyesight check is now part of the test.  I haven't found any confirmation of the distance yet, but I've seen mention on some French forums that it is 20 metres.  That's the same distance as in the UK so it would make sense.

When we changed our UK licences for French ones, no-one asked questions about our eyesight and, as a "permanent" contact lens wearer, I never thought to volunteer the info.

Is this likely to cause any problems in future? I always carry a spare pair of lenses in the car. What would happen if I was stopped on the one day in 365 that I wear glasses?..........

Chrissie (81)

I have no memory of my UK driving licence (which is in the old, paper format) first issued in  67, saying I needed to wear glasses to drive.  As I wear them all the time, and have done since I was 3 yrs old, I am not aware of ever seeing this in the UK one.  Weird.  And I can;t be bother to go find it and check it.

Judith - you are right.

I've checked my driving licence - the paper version that comes with the plastic card - and there is no mention on the paper licence - or on the plastic card - of the need to wear glasses when driving.

Bearing in mind that eyesight changes over the years, that when the licence was first issued maybe no glasses were worn, and - mainly - the only times a licence would need changing would be on marriage (change of name), endorsements, or change of address, it is quite likely most of us have not needed to have changed/replaced/amended our licences for 25 years !!!

So in 25 years things change - now glasses are needed - but there is NO reference on UK licence, NOR is there a section indicated on UK licence about wearing glasses.

What happens, therefore, when you want to change your UK licence to a French one;  there is no mention on the UK licence about needing glasses - and yet the French licence refers to wearing glasses ?

What's the answer all you lovely knowledgeable bods on here - do we put a 'cross' in the box indicated - even though there is no mention of glasses on UK licence ?   Or do we just 'ignore' !!!!!!!!!

Chessie

I took my test in Germany and my German driving licence has 'cannot drive without glasses'[geek] stamped over it,  yet on every subsequent eye test in the UK I have been told I am fine for driving in UK without glasses[8-)] Does anyone know if the French requirement is nearer the English or German[blink]