Beware of the dragon

ngh

Wow. Just got back from Poitiers. Been to get a French driving licence. What a VERY VERY rude woman. In 11 years i have never met anyone as bad.

My wife replaced her license a month ago, we had no trouble and everything was fine. That time we had a vey helpful lady. This time she was at us as soon as we opened our mouths. Why do we want a French license, this wrong that wrong. Wrong Prefecture. Everything she could think of. We were sent away for new photos, photocopies of the English license. You name, it she found it. She was as rude as you can get. But we stayed calm and stood our ground and left her, with everything in order. It remains to be seen if i get the license without further trouble. Why are people so awkward ?

We on the other hand had no problem at all.

We even used old photos that we found lurking at the bottom of the drawer - I suspect they were the rejects from our previous passport renewal.

Maybe we looked so much more youthful in the photos than in real life that the fonctionaire thought we must be ill or under a great deal of stress and just took pity on us.

The 2 big bonuses were of course that the whole process took place in our very own village - no journey involved, and the new licences were FREE - yeah, we got something for nothing in France.

Just did this for OH last week.  Went to the sous préfecture with forms, photos, utility bill, passport, the lot.

Woman there said we had the wrong forms as we weren't renewing his licence but exchanging it.  OK, we said and she asked us for a cheque for €25.

I'd ask OH to bring the French chequebook but, OH, being a man, didn't do that and so she couldn't complete the application.

Still she gave us full instructions as to what to do:  send cheque plus SAE.  So, now all done and awaiting outcome.

You were just unlucky getting this horrible person.  Our person was OK, told us all we needed to do, etc.  Mind you, I dread to think how things might have gone if I didn't speak French.  As it was, all got sorted and the queue behind us all wished us "au revoir" when we left so it didn't feel like they held a grudge against these stupid, ignorant Brits that cause nothing but problems!

What about a translation of existing English licence? I have just received an application form from the Prefecture d'Herault listing what is required and one being an official (underlined) translation of existing licence! Now where on earth can I get one of those from.

You will find a number of certified/official translators in your area here.

No doubt you will get postings telling you that you don't need an official translation, and as driving licences are supposed to be harmonised throughout the EU you probably don't. But in our experience it's always easiest to provide what the officials ask for if you can.

Re the dragon - nice to see that the woman from the Basse-Normandie DRIRE seems to have found herself a new job since the reorganisation.

[;-)]

[quote user="Will"]

Re the dragon - nice to see that the woman from the Basse-Normandie DRIRE seems to have found herself a new job since the reorganisation.[/quote]

The daft thing is that she is in the last box but one in the line and the lady in the last box speaks perfect english.

Your experience rests purely in the ticket you got from the machine.[:D]