Selling a car privately

Hereford

Could someone very kindly provide links to the forms we need to sell a (French reg) car. I think you need a form to say car is free of finance etc and also the actual "sale" form. 

Very many thanks, I have tried "search" but only one link and it does not seem to work!

Mrs H

You will have to fill in the certificat de cession, you and the buyer each keep a copy and send the third to the préfecture. It can be filled in on line, but you will need a further copy of your piece to send to the insurer so that the policy can be cancelled or transferred to another vehicle.

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_13754.do

You will also need to print off the certificat de situation, which I think is the one you refer to above. It primarily proves that there are no outstanding fines etc associated with the vehicle as well as no outstanding credit is recorded against it.

https://siv.interieur.gouv.fr/map-usg-ui/do/accueil_certificat

By coincidence I shall be picking up another secondhand car this Friday and giving my old one to a friend. I think I have all the forms mentioned but am not sure who informs the Prefecture, me or the new owner. Also where does the old carte de grise go, do I send it off to the Prefecture or does the new owner when he wants to register it?

You send your copy of the certificat de cession to your prefecture to notify them you are no longer the owner of the vehicle.  You give the other copy plus the carte grise (marked vendu or cédé and dated) to the new owner.  He then applies for a new carte grise in his name, producing his copy of the certificat de cession and the carte grise as proof that he is now the owner of the vehicle.

If the car is more than four years old, you must also give the new owner a CT certificate dated no more than six months prior to the date of sale.

[quote user="ericd"]As well as date write the time of the deal on the Carte Grise (my father always told me to do that)....just in case the car you are buying was involved in some kind of wrong doing that same morning.[/quote]

The new certificat de cession does ask for the time , also the mileage.