Have we been stitched up ......?

Suninfrance

We recently moved house within the Correze area and went to the Sous-Prefecture to inform them of the change of address for the car.  We did this, but were told that we had to have the car re-registered immediately which we did at the cost of €42 for the new plates.  I questioned this at the time, but the guy as the Sous-Prefecture was insistent that we had to do this.  French people we have spoken to about it, have never heard of this being the case as we are still in the same area, although our postcode has changed from 19230 to 19130, but seem to think this shouldn't make a difference. 

Has anyone else had this problem when moving house within the same area?

Jan

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]Under the new system, where cars now keep the same numberplate for life, any initial change ,such as a change of address, or change of owner, results in a new "carte Grise" and new reg no being issued, so you were not stitched up[/quote]

That is to presume that the OP had a car without the  new plates?  I was under the impression that once on the new plates they would not change again, even if you did move, or change owner. Can anyone confirm that I am correct?

The car was on old plates, therefore your change of address resulted in your car being re-registered under the new SIV registration, and the new plates which you had to buy are for the life of the vehicle.

A clear explanation of the rules regarding change of address for both new and old plates are at http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F12118.xhtml#N100FA (sorry, I can never make links work, you'll have to copy & paste)

How much did the Préfecture charge you? 2€50?

A lot of French people are just as unaware of the details of the new registration rules as most British folk are, after all it only concerns you when you move or buy/sell a vehicle.