Two year CT

Hereford

Hi

Can anyone confirm please that even if a CT was done just before selling a car it does not alter the date of the next regular CT - i.e. you could need a CT say six months after buying a car even though a new CT was supplied when you bought.

We are sure this is so but a friend disagrees!

Thanks a lot.

It's possible it may be the source of the OP's question.

When selling a car it should have a CT less than 6 months old or, put another way, one with no less than 18 months to run.

Generally it will be the seller who pays for it in preparation for sale but it's of no consequence who pays.

[quote user="just john "]ie I believe that if it has less than 6 months the seller is obliged to put a new CT on the car (or pay the costs of doing so)?[/quote]

It's not obligatory. A car can be sold with no CT at all. But in either instance (<6 months CT or no CT) it will reduce the value - sale price - of the vehicle in part because the state of the car is unconfirmed by CT but also because to re-register the car in the name of the new owner a "more than 6 months to run CT" is required. So s/he will have to go to the trouble / cost of getting a CT before re-registration can take place.

A successful sale at an acceptable price is more likely to be achieved if the current owner gets the CT done.

Edited to add:

Some vendors only get the CT done when a sale is agreed - subject to a successful CT. Then they don't waste money on a new CT if they get no buyers.

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="just john "]ie I believe that if it has less than 6 months the seller is obliged to put a new CT on the car (or pay the costs of doing so)?[/quote]
It's not obligatory. A car can be sold with no CT. But in either instance (<6 months CT or no CT) it will reduce the value - sale price - of the vehicle in part because the state of the car is unconfirmed by CT but also because to re-register the car in the name of the new owner a "more than 6 months to run" is required. So s/he will have to go to the trouble of getting a CT before re-registration can take place.

A successful sale is more likely to be achieved if the current owner gets the CT done.
[/quote]

As this is 180° in a different direction from the post immediately above yours, I wonder if you have any link to a source verifying your assertion.[8-)]

[quote user="Catalpa"]No. But I'm sure you can Google.
[/quote]

I am afraid that I will have to accordingly discount the utility of your post.

En cas de vente de véhicule

Le vendeur d'un voiture d'occasion de plus de quatre ans, doit remettre à l'acquéreur (avant la vente), le rapport du contrôle technique, datant de moins de 6 mois.

Sans preuve du contrôle, la préfecture refusera de délivrer une nouvelle carte grise à l'acquéreur.

Direction générale de la concurrence, de la consommation
et de la répression des fraudes

In french! But I'm sure you can Google Translate.

Thanks for various replies.  We know why we thought  the interval did not change:  we sold our UK registered car when we arrived in France although it was under the age that needed a CT but we had one for the sale. It technically "failed" as there was no carte grise so no sticker was given.   Once French registered it just had to have the CT at the normal intervals i.e. actual age and the "failed" one was ignored. We know this because the buyer was a friend not a stranger.

Glad to have correct info anyway and we accept that we misunderstood the rules.

Thanks as always.

[quote user="AnOther"]And if you want it reinforced:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F16540.xhtml?&n=Transports&l=N18&n=Automobiles%20et%20deux-roues&l=N529&n=Contr%C3%B4le%20technique&l=N539

[/quote]

I didn't, particularly, but I'm sure PPP did and is pleased and relieved you have done so.

It doesn't alter the fact that cars can be and are sold without a CT that conforms to the letter of the loi. This is France and as we all know, real life often runs somewhat parallel to the rules, intersecting when convenient. As you observed yourself elsewhere quite recently. But as you also observed there, these workarounds are reliant on the participants understanding what they are doing. Or not doing.

[quote user="Catalpa"]real life often runs somewhat parallel to the rules, intersecting when convenient.[/quote]I like it [:D][:D][:D]

It was Douglas Bader who said "rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men" and as I have indeed said before:

The first rule of breaking rules is to know and understand the rules you are breaking - and the potential consequences [;-)]