Buying property in the Gironde

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Gironde? I have been on holiday there several times and want to live there but I would like to hear from someone who has already done this to see what their experience is? I love the area around Hourtin.

Nice area to holiday in for sure.

It is a cliché but nonetheless true that living in a place is a completely different experience from being there on holiday, and living in a place as a retiree is a totally different experience from having to earn a living there.

So for instance, the fact that unemployment is pretty high there may or may not bother you.

Thanks. I plan to retire somewhere near there but I also plan to buy 2 apartments for rent to keep the cash flow going so I take note of the unemployment but I don't think it will affect me too much.

Bide your time as French property market and economy continues to weaken, also the £ is forecast to strengthen further against the euro.

Also beware if planning to buy apartments to rent in France whilst non French resident, that controversially the French government are imposing social security charges on unfurnished lets owned by non residents. These charges amounting to 15.5 per cent are not recognised as a tax by HMRC or other foreign tax authorities and allowed as a tax credit and you end up being double taxed and get no benefit in France either.

I take note of the unemployment but I don't think it will affect me too much.

I have lived for a long time in an area of high unemployment, and there are considerable indirect effects, on the decline in shops, the rise in local taxes for those still paying them, and the depressed feeling it creates as well as social unrest.

Unemployment slightly higher - 10,6% in Charente-Maritime as opposed to 9,9% in Gironde.

http://www.journaldunet.com/economie/magazine/en-chiffres/chomeurs-en-france.shtml

Sorry to sound negative but France really ain't the best place to invest your nest-egg for your twilight years right now.