Registsering an English Caravan

Interested

We live in Dept. 85 and the DRIRE we have to deal with is in La Roche-sur-Yon. Our caravan is British (Swift) and new 2003. We have all the necessary information needed for the DRIRE to inspect the caravan from ALKO (a frame, brakes, ect.)plus a National Caravan Council Certificate showing the van is up to EU standards. However, the DRIRE will not even give us a form to fill in to apply for registration because we do not have a European Certificate of Conformity which they say we need. They told us to go to the manufacturer of the caravan to get the certificate. Swift say they do not give this certificate as it is not a requirement in the UK and they make their caravans for the UK market. So what do we do. I went onto the web site to find out the rights of citizens of the EU and asked them the question and got told that by EU law the French have to prove our caravan is not road worthy before they can refuse registration. It is all very well saying that but what can we do if they won't inspect the caravan or even look into registering it without this certificate we don't have and can't get. We were advised to go to a lawyer and force our rights.
I would like to know has anyone else in Dept. 85 managed to register their caravan. I know people in other departments have been able to, so it can be done, but this DRIRE don't want to know. They know we don't have the certificate and can't get it so this way they refuse to go any further, and thus not have to do any work re registering British caravans in their department. Any advise would be appreciated.

As will be seen in many other threads on this forum, application of "rules" on car re-reg, charging for Cartes Grise etc varies between depts so I would expect it to be the same for caravans.

Your case seems to be weak in 2 areas at least

1. Admitted manufacture for th UK market
2. The door is on the wrong side and thus deemed unsafe

EU rules may well say that you have "rights" - but this is France where there seems to be a large degree of selectivity over which EU rules are accepted/acceptable.

I have not attempted to re-reg our old caravan so I am just passing on my observations. Good luck but involving lawyers may just make you poorer. My guess is that selling your 'van in UK and buying here is a costly option that may be quicker/cheaper/easier in the end.

John
http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
hi Folks.Am now awaiting my Carte Grise for a 1992 Lunar caravan in Dept85!It has taken 6 months of persistance(polite),help from Knott of Germany supplying by return the axle and brake calculations,NO help from the National Caravan Council who wouldnt reply to letter or emails,NO help from Lunar who dont have their chassis details(allegedly)Many letters to DRIRE at La Roche sur Yon,and following their request(demand) for an independent gas and electric inspection-cost180euros,it then took 8 weeks to finally get the appointment for inspection at DRIRE.Passed with flying colours,but had to stamp the makers plate details onto the chassis alonside the plate at DRIRE!I also have to make another plate to set dimensions etc,and rivet same onto chassis.I will then get the CG with the new registration number,have a new number plate made and VOILA!We have also arranged to join the French Federation of camping so as to arrange better insurance more apropriate for France.
Good Luck just persevere.Dennis

Hi there

I had exactly the same problems as you and found that the french authorities in our dept 29 were very unhelpful (St Brieuc). We have a 1996 Compass and I managed to get all the chassis details but only a Uk certificate of conformity from the now defunct Compass. To be honest, I was going to fight the whole process but not speaking French well does not help - I even went so far as to ask an English speaking French lady who works for my insurance broker (she used to work in the UK) to assist - she took the hellish form home with her and had to admit defeat, she did not have a clue what information they required. However, some have had success, but I feel they must have had a modicom of French to do this. By the way, I have successfully applied for planning permission for an shed, carte de sejour and carte vitale, (so I'm not completely useless) but the form they supplied is horrific and the level of technical detail (probably bad enough in English but totally incomprehesible in French) just beat me. They even wanted us to take the caravan to a public weighbridge to get the nose weight registered - I would have thought the control technique process would have done that automatically.

Good luck with your venture,

Maggi

We took the easy out and sold ours before we came over. After hearing the HORROR stories that are going on here even as we speak, we decided that we are going to be looking around here in the Aude for at least a year and our beloved Abby GTI would just be sat rotting quietly in the corner.

The real thing that grates is that when you look around and see some of the cr*p that is being towed by the locals and the state of some of them when they set up on the camp sites it realy makes you wonder how they can get through any test? When we are ready we will buy a French van and take it from there.

First, we are glad to be in the Aude at last. Second, we will look at the other places when we have had a good look at where we live now. Good luck to anyone bringing a van in from the U.K., but before you do, look at the HASSLE that others have had before you and then decide if it's worth it. There is no real truth to the argument that the door is on the wrong side, how often do you set up on the highway? And what difference does it make when you are on a camp site? People come here from the U.K. on 3 or more month holidays in caravans and campervans with the door 'on the wrong side' and have no problems at all.

Good luck if you bring your van over, but I would think very hard first!

Take care,

John.

What you have overlooked is that you only have to register a caravan that is over 500Kg. Therefore the French buy small caravans that do not need registering or paying insurance on and keep them till they fall apart, with nobody checking them out! Its bizarre (one of my favourite French words) but the French don't seem to use any facilities in their vans, they prefer to use the camp-site ones, therefore a small van with a bed and a cooker is sufficient.

We felt it was well worth the hassle to bring our lovely Lunar to France with us, registration took 5 months and we have helped many others register theirs. It is very unfortunate that some Depts. are making this process much more difficult than others.

• 6 years later...
Hi I had the same problem, but I phoned ALKO in UK and are now waiting for the Letter of Conformity, it is costing of course £85 + Vat, but at least it is possible to get it.Here are the contact details, and Good Luck.

(01926) 818500

AL-KO Kober Limited

South Warwickshire Business Park,

Kineton Road,

Southam,

Warwickshire

CV47 OAL

[quote user="Moorejw"]

What you have overlooked is that you only have to register a caravan that is over 500Kg. Therefore the French buy small caravans that do not need registering or paying insurance on and keep them till they fall apart, with nobody checking them out! [/quote]

Mmmm, how many vans do you know that are under 500kg unladen?

A vintage Eriba Puck perhaps, at least one forum member has one but i really doubt that there is anything else built this side of 1970.

I have an Esterel rigipliante, it is featherweight and I doubt that they could have saved any further weight without it becoming a Maclaren F1, all the units are hollow core skinned with really thin covering of formica etc, she weighs 670kg unladen without the awning etc. I have never bothered registering it although it is French made and French spec, I have seen some for sale on Leboncoin with the comments , moins de 750kg donc pas de carte grise so I guess I am  not the only one.