Quittus fiscal certificate

crossy67

Just a quickie that may save me a bit of time if you please.  Can I visit any Hotel des Impots (one out of our department) for my quittus fiscal certificate for our UK car.  We passed the CT today  so now on to the next stage [:)]

Whilst I am at it.  Could I visit a local prefecture in another department or does it have to be on in ours? 

Thanks.

Ian

[quote user="dave21478"]It has to be your own local tax office[/quote]

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say why ?

Certainly with the old registration system where you had to use your own prefecture they would be expecting a quittus from their hotel des impots but now you can register at any prefecture why should it matter where the quittus is issued, it's only a standard document which says that any tax which may have been be due has been paid.

Sounds like one of those things which can only be proven by somebody trying it !

So, do you feel lucky [blink]

No, I dont feel lucky, having been turned away from my nearest hotel d'impots in the past when asking for a quittus fiscal and sent to the further away one which deals with my commune.

Every time I go there for one, they ask what commune I am from. Since its a tiny place hardly anyone knows, they have to look it up on their list, and only when they find it will they do the papers.

Yes, definately - the form is not region specific- Either the car needs tax paid or not, so I fail to see why it could matter where it came from.

My only theory (aside from the French love of over-complicating paperwork) is that they are kept locally to keep tabs on who in the region imports how many cars and whether they declare any profits on their tax forms.

Possibly however being as you don't make money on buying and registering a car, only maybe on selling, that would imply a sophisticated degree of cooperation between the local impots and the nation wide prefectures - remember you can register anywhere now - can you really credit them with being capable of that ?

http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=31

Explains which tax office you need to visit to pay any TVA due or to obtain a quittus fiscal:

....il faut se rapprocher de la recette des impôts du domicile pour les particuliers et du centre des impôts du principal établissement ou du siège social pour les assujettis et les personnes morales non assujetties identifiés à la TVA.....

I was turned down by one of the two tax offices in our department as the one I was at didn't deal with our village[:P] Had to travel 50 kms to the other one for the certificate then back to the original as that's where the prefecture was[blink]

A quick update.

Went to our local tax office and got the quittus fiscal certificate, it took about 10 minutes and the woman was really nice and helpful.  A pleasure to deal with.

From there we went to Cognac to the sus prefecture.  Stood in a queue for about 5 minutes, got seen.  Had a bit of trouble getting exactly what we wanted across to the clerk but after the intervention of here colleague she understood and took the paperwork off us.  We were told to wait while they prepared our paperwork.  15 minutes later we left with our new registration number.

Could easily be done in a morning if you get up early so's to avoid the lunch break.  The quittas was free but the cart grise was €165.50.  Luckily we got it all done with our UK issued English COC too, that was free from Renault.

Thanks for your help and replies people.