Home made trailers

crossy67

[quote user="crossy67"]I want the trailer to carry under 500kg so it doesn't need  a cart grise but what if the trailer comes in at 500kg.  I have no idea how heavy the potential chassis will weigh when stripped and by then it will be too late.  Is there a limit to what the under 500kg trailer can weigh unladen?[/quote]

No, but if the trailer weighs 400 Kg then there's not much leeway for payload ...

To give you a guide as to what is possible, the small and lightweight Daxara types (sold under various brands across the EU) weigh between 65 and 100 Kgs for a GVW in the range 350-600Kg. Incidentally, looking at one site, it looks like there are some price reductions possible on end-of-season used trailers in the UK. They are still too expensive for some people though ...

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="crossy67"]I want the trailer to carry under 500kg so it doesn't need  a cart grise but what if the trailer comes in at 500kg.  I have no idea how heavy the potential chassis will weigh when stripped and by then it will be too late.  Is there a limit to what the under 500kg trailer can weigh unladen?

Ta
[/quote]

When you have the caravan stripped, chassis cut & shut, and the trailer body made from the alloy caravan body, that would surely be strong and light enough? you could get it weighed at a facility near you,  (I  happen to know there is a weigh bridge at Patrice Desert) [I]

Of course if you had it towed by an english registered vehicle you wouldn't have all this kerfuffle . . . [Www]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Chancer"]

This one I am particularly proud of:

[/quote]The trailer or the Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious on top of it?[Www]

[/quote]

Both, although I cannot claim the credit for the beauty or engineering of one of them [:)]