Citroën C5 2004 Estate - ESP warning Not functioning

mrrigga

HI 
HELP! I have just had a full set of pads and new exhaust fitted and now I get a warning come up ESP not functioning. On my Citroën C5 2004 Estate 2ltr

I have taken it back to the mechanic and he cannot find the fault. He said he had it put on a diagnostics machine the machine said steering angle sensor problem. He says he doesn't know where the sensor is or how to cure the fault.
Can anyone suggest what the problem could be and how to correct it.
Thank You

I think the steering angle sensor has to be recalibrated after the tracking is adjusted, or the steering has taken a knock of some kind. Unfortunatey, the standard CAN bus diagnostics can only detect the error code. The car will have to go to a Citroen agent for recalibration.

Tell the bloke who had your pads out that the ABS sensors are next to the calipers . If he did not hold back the calipers when he exchanged the pads and has whacked a sensor  that could be your problem .  If you go to a Citroen dealer and they tell you that..... Give the bloke their bill ..   I had a C5 Estate .... I think I saw every warning there  is come up on that car  while I had it  ! 

We have the same problem on our Xantia.

It could be the ring that the sensor tries to read as these become rusty (fixable), or even detached (fixable x100)

We disconnected our ABS because the sensors were playing up but only when the car was moving very slowly e.g. crawling up to a roundabout, the brakes wouldn't work at all. So we have the light on all the time now, but we don't miss it really, I don't think we have had a reason to use it in the last 4years since we originally had the problem.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]We disconnected our ABS[/quote]

Would this not invalidate your insurance if a claim was made against you? In many cars abs is a feature which is an integral part of the safety of the vehicle, unlike esp which can be switched off from the dashboard.

I had a close call in a Devon lane once when, as I hit the brakes, a head-on collision seemed inevitable. Fortunately both cars had abs and in fact when we stopped there was still a car's length between us. Personally I'd get it repaired!

Steve

Cadence braking, that takes me back.......mind you you'd have to drink a lot of Red Bull to pump the brakes as quickly as abs does! :)

I agree, theory and techniques just don't come naturally in a split second emergency. I'm glad for you that your car had the techniques built in.   

Steve