End of SECAM thread drift to GPS

pachapapa

Garmin have been obviously stirred in to action by the announcement at beginning of this week in the Journal Officiel of the Republic Francaise which made the display of radar trap information illegal.

The lunch time news flogged it all earlier in the week with examples of a display with a large scintillating Red Button and a warning to update IMMEDIATELY or else.

Last night I had a visit from a brit couple to watch the Cabalgata de Los Reyes Magos on Spanish Television and the conversation got round to radar trap warnings.

My comments went something like this....WHAT you have a Garmin that tells you where radar traps are......BUT that is illegal....DIDNT anyone tell you.....BUT if the gendarmes stop you and see that WOW....they will confiscate it ...give you 6 points ...AND fine you € 1500.

They leave for the tunnel on Sunday morning.[:)]

Well I warned them.....they replied Dont be silly!

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Last night I had a visit from a brit couple to watch the Cabalgata de Los Reyes Magos on Spanish Television and the conversation got round to radar trap warnings.

My comments went something like this....WHAT you have a Garmin that tells you where radar traps are......BUT that is illegal....DIDNT anyone tell you.....BUT if the gendarmes stop you and see that WOW....they will confiscate it ...give you 6 points ...AND fine you € 1500.

They leave for the tunnel on Sunday morning.[:)]

Well I warned them.....they replied Dont be silly![/quote]

I take it the "brit couple" are residents of the UK, with UK driving documents?

Therefore, it was very wise of you to offer the benefit of your extensive knowledge, especially in relation to the "6 points"! So how does that work?

No Garmin will warn you or anyone else for that matter, of the location of radar traps. They may inform you of fixed Speed Camera locations, or sites favoured for the operation of mobile Speed Cameras.

[quote user="pachapapa"]But the question is has saline sammy disabled his data base or is he being refractory.[/quote]

Simple answer, I have a Garmin with no Speed Camera database. I also have a secondary GPS with a new advisory database which appears to satisfy the requirements of  M. Sarkozy and hopefully, is fully compliant with your understanding of the legislation.

Of course, I must remember to select the correct operational mode prior to disembarking the ferry, and ensure the camera location option is switched to 'off', and the advisory database switched to 'on'. However I feel sure that even with my limited intelligence, I'll manage to achieve that small task![blink]

It's all getting beyond a joke now, I have never seen so many grey areas appear so quickly! Local police station says, "illegal to use, illegal to have" Main office for the department says, "illegal to use, ok if just switched off". Both said they had no legal right to check your unit if stopped, but said customs did!!!!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I have replied asking how this would sit with those who may have just paid the hefty subscription charge to renew, who brought their units based on the fact the dadtbase WAS on their system, or why TomTom have a solution in place, and that some have said that simply having the database is against the law, etc etc

[/quote]

As I posted on the other thread, there is now a conforming database download for France for Garmin subscribers.