Trailer tyres

stan

Before I start on a crusade of trying to get devis using my bad French, does anyone know the estimated cost of simply taking a wheel to a tyre centre and having them replace the tyre with a new one. Not the cost of the tyre (thats in hand), just the cost of taking off the old one and putting on a new one. All the tyre centres online just have the price of "montage", which is not what I want (nor the price). I have 5 trailer wheels with bad tyres that I wish to replace with new ones.

I'm pretty sure "montage" means removing the old tyre and fitting the new one, which seems to be what you require, so why not use that as a guide price to negotiate a price for fitting your 5 tyres.

Unless their price for montage specifies that it only applies to tyres bought from them, I don't see how they could charge more for tyres supplied by yourself.

[quote user="nomoss"]

I'm pretty sure "montage" means removing the old tyre and fitting the new one, which seems to be what you require, so why not use that as a guide price to negotiate a price for fitting your 5 tyres.

Unless their price for montage specifies that it only applies to tyres bought from them, I don't see how they could charge more for tyres supplied by yourself.

[/quote]

Thanks, but if it were a car, "montage" means the setting of the car on a ramp or hydraulic lift, the removal of the old wheels, then replacemenent of tyres as per my wish, the replacing of the wheels and lowering of vehicle.

I would buy the tyres via an online site which delivers to the tyre centre, then take my trailer wheels in my car for fitting, without the mechanics having to secure any vehicle, and remove/replace wheels, surely this latter service must be cheaper than the " full montage"!

[quote].......surely this latter service must be cheaper than the " full montage"![/quote]

AaahhahahahHAHAHAhahahahHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Yes, in theory there is less work for the garage, but the reality is they will still charge the full price.

Prices will vary enormously, but budget for at least 10-15euros per wheel, then balancing on top if you want them balanced. (personally, I wouldn't bother on a trailer)

The best bet is to steer clear of the chain places (I went into Leclerc Auto last week to get them to balance 2 4x4 tyres I had fitted myself. Despite this being a quick, simple job, they still wanted the carte gris and all my details "For the guarantee". The chap spent longer faffing with the computer than the mechanic took to balance the wheels!). I would suggest finding a wee second-hand tyre place. They are generally better priced, more open to fitting tyres not supplied by them(which many chain garages will refuse - can't guarantee their quality can we mate?) and much more likely to do it cheaply for cash on a quiet morning.

I don't know what size you are talking about but smaller tyres (10") are very easy to change yourself, done it loads of times most recently about a month ago on my caravan when, after a puncture, I realised that I had tubes in tubeless tyres and since it was the tube itself which had failed around the valve I took both tyres off, cleaned and repainted the rims, then refitted the both tubeless as they should be.

As a bonus I've tucked the good tube in the carvan as I could help me (or someone else) out of a hole if it came to it.

[quote user="dave21478"][quote].......surely this latter service must be cheaper than the " full montage"![/quote] AaahhahahahHAHAHAhahahahHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Yes, in theory there is less work for the garage, but the reality is they will still charge the full price. Prices will vary enormously, but budget for at least 10-15euros per wheel, then balancing on top if you want them balanced. (personally, I wouldn't bother on a trailer).[/quote]

Why?

When a wheel is out of balance then as the heavy part gets to the top it applies an upward force meaning that the bottom of the wheel does not exert the same downward force and likewise when the heavy part is at the bottom it exerts a greter downward force.

This can lead to uneven wear and also the trailer not being as stable as it could with the wheels balanced.

Paul

Most trailer tyres are unlikely to be anything larger than 175/13. Unbalanced tyres of these sizes in reality have negligible effects.

I have never balanced trailer tyres, infact many brand new caravans come with unbalanced wheels from the factory, and its a rarity for me to balance the wheels on my cars either. 4x4 tyres often need balanced due to the much larger size having a much more pronounced effect, vibrating the cars suspension.

Technically correct but in the vast majority of cases the degree of imbalance is unlikely to lead to such issues.

If you watch tyres being balanced the errors rarely exceed 20g or so and in a tyre weighing say 10kg that is completely insignificant (0.2%) and would only be noticeable when fitted to the front wheels of a car.

I have had loads of trailers of many types and never had new tyres balanced, nor had any problems.

I have steadfastly refused wheel balancing (when its being charged as an extra) for over 20 years, the garages would have it as essential but its just a money spinner, I have the tyres fitted for the cheapest price without new valve (although usually they throw one in) or balancing and then if there is vibration I will pay the extra for the balancing, only needed to do so on about two tyres.

I have never had a trailer tyre balanced and am unlikely to, never seen a balance weight on a trailer or caravan wheel unless its come off of a donor car.

For the last 7 years I have been running on part worn tyres, a set of 4 cost £100 including fitting and they do in fact balance them but its in with the price, they always have 6mm + of tread and the first set lasted me for 5 years and 75000 miles.

ANother I could do with that 10" inner tube right here right now!!!

My local garage in the village charges 16€ per wheel to change car tyres, that includes balancing.

My trailer was supplied with unbalanced wheels and I've run it for 6 years like this, no sign of any peculiar tyre wear, but it's probably time to renew them now though. I won't bother with balancing small trailer tyres.

My caravan has "normal" sized wheels (like a car) and I do have those balanced... the tyres are changed before they are anywhere near worn as it's age that is the main factor with those.