Entertaining les Voisins at Xmas!

Lautrec

We are planning to invite our immediate French neighbours into our home around Xmas time for an aperitif and light refreshment social evening, as they have been very kind to us over the past year!

We first thought of putting on English type food, but have realized that it would be easier and more acceptable to their tastes if all the food came from the local supermarkets! So could someone tell me what exactly the type of tidbits and snacks they might enjoy the most?

Does one also give them a present when they leave or am I going over the top? Would be pleased to hear what others have done in similar circumstances!

Lautrec.

hi there,

why not try some traditional english titbits?? we arrived in france last november and had our neighbours round for our 1st xmas here (20 of them) and supplied a bit of both! english and french snacks! it went down a storm they really appreciated something different to try!

give it a try, the worst that can happen is that you have it for lunch the next day!!

paul

www.1frenchgite.co.uk

I'm afraid i have to admit to being a cracker snob - I hate cheap crackers and always buy ones that at least have a few useful looking or pretty bits in them - everyone fights over the tiny tool sets (well it is Christmas )

I'm not sure how much 'not family' gift giving goes on in France, I just thought this might be a fun, safe, option......

Come along!, come along!; everybody is going crackers! I want to know the kind of food that one should set on the buffet for our beighbours to enjoy. Things like salami, a cheeseboard, cold meats etc? Somebody must have done it!I dont think that crackers are all that important! So some suggestions please!

Lautrec.

The french 'must' eat Jacobs cream crackers as they have been selling them in our local Carrefour for years and years and as we don't have an english section, they are with the biscotte and stuff like that. So I for one find nothing remarkable about them, and believe me Carrefour don't stock them for les anglais, I don't buy them so they certainly don't stock them for me either.

I find the french will eat any good food. A must as an apero thing as far as I am concerned are these two things, especially at this time of year, canapes with foie gras and canapes with smoked salmon or trout and some fish eggs on top. Not only are these delicacies, delicious, but I feel sure that it would be considered very civilised to serve such things.