Cheapest basic Insurance after a break

NormanH

This isn't for me (I gave up driving a while back) but for an English friend who has just acquired an old Passat left to him by a neighbour.  (French registered)

For someone who has been out of the driving seat for a while (more than two years) where would you go to get just the very basic minimun insurance to be legal?  The car isn't worth a lot but he wants to be correctly covered if he hits somebody else..

I looked at trying to reduce our premiums for this year and got some online quotes through comparison sites. My current insurer, Groupama, whose office is very conveniently just across the road, did better than match them.

I also reduced the premiums considerably by declaring an annual kilometrage of less than 8,000 for both our car and camper. This is verified each year on renewal, and the company has to be advised if the 8K is going to be exceeded.

If all risks cover is not needed, they, and most other companies, can offer third party cover, to which one can add various options, which can be compared on their websites, to suit your requirements.

Is the issue the break in bonus/malus?

If not then the cheapest I found for this year at €80 was Acommeassurances, the cheap ones always shoot up so you have to change every year, I was with Assuravenue but it gradually went up from €110ish to around €170 then they cancelled the Policy on me stating a change of strategic direction, OK maybe they dont want the bottom end of the market.

Now its down to €80 with a company that is taking a cut out of that for themselves, and the insurer behind them?..............................

Assuravenue [:D][:P]