Changing from UK to French driving licence

sueyh

I, too, got a lot of info from our préfecture site and downloaded the correct forms 2 years ago then stumbled over the replies to a couple of the questions. Nevertheless OH and I turned up at the préfecture with all the right papers thoroughly prepared to be rebuffed but were welcomed. Turns out the very-nice-lady on the permis desk really did know her job and she soon had our applications sorted. Our UK licences were taken from us and we were given certificates with photos and crested stamps on to show to anyone who asked whilst our permis were being prepared.

It seems it is very much the norm to just turn up with the right pieces of id etc and to let the staff provide and complete the right form, but I didn't realise that.

This site is very informative : http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/8795-echange-du-permis-etranger-contre-un-permis-de-conduire-francais

Although the permis form is now standardised the façon de faire of each préfecture varies from one département to another. At some you have to make an appointment by phone or online.

Sue