International Driving licence

Sirius

Hi...hoping someone can give advice on this one.....OK, i'm resident in France and hold a French driving licence, I am going to South Africa for a holiday and will be hiring a car, i have found out that as my French driving licence is not in English I will have to apply for an International driving licence in France....the process looks pretty daunting...has any one applied for one and if so is there an easy way of applying??...I live in hope!!!!!

Surely you mean an International Driving Permit? There is no such thing as an International License.

I have an IDP and it couldn't be easier and FREE! A UK one cost £5.50.

Fill in the form, send off the bits and in a few days it arrives in the post.

Edit - looks like there may be longer delays since I got mine, says up to 5 weeks! Mine arrived in about 5 days.

Thanks for the quick reply....I wasn't sure exactly how to apply even after looking at the different websites....I went onto the ANTs website and couldn't find anything about IDP, so am i assuming that I have to create an account on ANTS and then apply somewhere else for the permit? The list of 'bits' seems pretty long, including copy tax return, passport, driving licence, utility bills, photos etc....it seems that the rules changed last year, then it was a case of filling out a form with a few id bits and sending it off or going to the prefecture, but now its a different procedure???

Blimey, I didn't read it all before I posted the link. All I had to do was send a copy of my French license, a couple of photos and the completed form. I can't see why they go to such lengths for a bit of paper which in effect is just a translation of your license. Typical French bureaucracy gone mad.

If I were doing it now I would go for the FranceConnect option.