RHD car with MOT please

Evianers

We would like to buy a RHD smallish, recent UK registered car with MOT.
Manual, 5 door preferred. Make not really important but condition immaculate.
Can either swap our beautiful VW Golf Special or come to some arrangement.

Gosh, good luck with that! I can't imagine many people in France would be selling a RHD car with an MOT. I was wondering what to do with my battered old RHD car if I decide to get a LHD one here. I don't think a garage would want it in part-exchange.

Blodwyn wrote : I was wondering what to do with my battered old RHD car if I decide to get a LHD one here. I don't think a garage would want it in part-exchange.

If you are prepared to undercut the high French second-hand car prices then advertise it privately.

Young people/students and the like are often keen to nab a bargain .. that's if it's a good runner and not an expensive car to insure.

I sold mine for less than the price of a good lawnmower!  I know because I have just bought a new landmower[:D]

It was an automatic (therefore not popular with the French), 22 years old and a RHD.  Sold it without problem.  It did have a lot going for it; lovely to drive with very low kilometrage (and looks half its age, rather like its owner[:P])

[quote user="suein56"]Blodwyn wrote : I was wondering what to do with my battered old RHD car if I decide to get a LHD one here. I don't think a garage would want it in part-exchange.

If you are prepared to undercut the high French second-hand car prices then advertise it privately.

Young people/students and the like are often keen to nab a bargain .. that's if it's a good runner and not an expensive car to insure.[/quote]

Undercutting LHD prices shouldn’t be a problem. French insurance companies value RHD French registered cars at 50% of the equivalent LHD car, that can be quite a difference in your 12 month old Mercedes, so somewhere under half the price of the local second hand cars would be a good starting point.

At what level did you check? In my experience there was a €10,000 difference between the value given to my car and the cost of an equivalent LHD replacement. These figures did not come from the insurance company itself but from the independent insurance expert who deals with all insurance companies. I have since been in contact with a lot of people who have had the same experience.

My car is getting on a bit, has been owned from new and came to France with me. I would never buy a RHD car and import it into France for many reasons but the insurance valuation is now near the top of that list.