Buying a car in France in these bizarre times.

alittlebitfrench

We need a new car because we have a big family. Five don't fit in a Skoda Yeti. LOL.

We have been shopping around for both for new and secondhand.

I am amazed and the secondhand deals available at the moment. I have not seen that before in France.

That said, car manufacturers are knocking off thousands from new car prices.

So new or secondhand ?

That is the question.

We are looking at a BMW 5 series F10 secondhand. They seem to be cheap as chips. They are actually cheaper than French cars. Even twingos. How that works...I have no idea.

ALBF advice....if you need a new car....buy now.

You don't say which engine or the age. For a start, how does the BMW 5 series F10 fit in the Crit'Air Air Quality Certificate classification?

You may well find you are restricted more and more over the coming years in which towns you can drive it in; not only in France but all the other countries with air quality/congestion zone restrictions and charges.

I would second the Octavia (estate). Recently bought one, having owned Alfas. I needed something capacious to replace my van.

Apart from practicality (enormous space), I have been really impressed with comfort and how it drives. Great reliability record and cheap as chips to run.

Still like my Alfa 159, though. Completely impractical but just has something a bit special about it. Has also been surprisingly durable/reliable.

The Octavia is actually (would you believe) narrower in the back than a Skoda yeti. A Yeti is bigger.

We had a Skoda Octavia and it is indeed a brilliant car. But it does not fit three kids in the back. By about 10 cms.

A Skoda Superb (however) does have the space for three kids in the back. So does a BMW 5 Series F10.

A secondhand BMW costs 15-20 K for reasonable millage in a lux version. A brand new Skoda Superb costs 30-35 k.

@ Pomme...it would be 520 diesel.

We looked at a van...but ???