Wood burners

clarksinfrance

To my logic, a log split into 4 has a greater surface area, so more fuel is available to burn at any one time - but my logic also says that the split log, although giving more heat, wont last as long as the one big log?

I have a very big fire, and have found the best way is for me to light some kindling, then shove in 6 big logs - once well lit, close the exit flap right down and let it burn away - If I light it about lunchtime, it is still burning by 8 or 9pm, and the braize stays hot for much longer afterwards. If I burn one log at a time, it takes me more than 6 logs to heat the house as much for the evening.

[quote user="woolybanana"]The general theory I am getting from suppliers, as I look for a poele, is that the smaller the log the better. This applies equally to the length of log. Also that the Scandinavian burners are a lot better.[/quote]

OH paid someone recently to split and cut our logs into smaller lengths.  He says that way the logs burn better.

I've also heard that the Scandinavian burners such as Jotul are better.  They cost more to buy, however.  Anyway, too late for me as both our poeles already in place.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]The general theory I am getting from suppliers, as I look for a poele, is that the smaller the log the better. This applies equally to the length of log. Also that the Scandinavian burners are a lot better.[/quote]

OH paid someone recently to split and cut our logs into smaller lengths.  He says that way the logs burn better.

I've also heard that the Scandinavian burners such as Jotul are better.  They cost more to buy, however.  Anyway, too late for me as both our poeles already in place.

[/quote]

The small Jotul stoves where the logs are 'north - south' in the firebox are brilliant little units. Worth every cent.

[quote user="powerdesal"]If I light it about lunchtime

And freeze during the morning ??????????

Its cold in the norf, especially at about 0700, when the log burner has gone out overnight.

ps What was the thread with the video about how to light a wood burner, I cant now find it.

[/quote]

Hi Powerdiesel, was it the tacky video from Canada?

this one

Cutting our own logs means we save all the sawdust, brilliant because we use the sawdust to pack into the fire if we are going out for a few hrs or should we leave it in overnight simmering!It must be packed tight.[:D] We  buy arcatia not the top of the reccomendation list simply because it spits but as long as its not on an open fire  no problem and much cheaper than oak , we also use poplar's ( all dried for 2 years) burns very hot but burns a little bit quick! So dont be pushed into buying oak - its so expensive!