refurbishing director's chairs

We have a couple of well loved director's chairs that are becoming very faded and the "canvas" is beginning to fray, though the wood is still in excellent condition.  They were bought 10+ years ago in John Lewis and bear no makers mark.  We're trying to find a source of replacement backs and seats for them.  They are the type with the plastic/cane rod inserts that slode into grooves in the wooden seat and back supports and seem to be out of favour as a design at the moment, particularly the back rest which now seem to slot over the back supports in modern versions.  Does anyone know of a supplier who might help or failing that one who might supply the material that we can attempt to replicate the seat/backs.  Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but couldn't find anything more appropriate.  John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Just spotted this one as I was browsing!!

Try this website,we found it for the same purpose,but have not been able to do anything with it yet.

http://www.deckchairstripes.com/_product/_directorchairs/directors-chairs.html

Best regards,

Johnnyboy.(also known as granddad John!!)

hi ok

or you could try the money saving way .... rip off all the fabric ...spray with a dilute solution of caustic soda ,apply coloured wax polish..... and write on the back  assistant director....[I] [I] [I]

Dave