Selling house and tax

Beryl

I have had conflicting advice , can any one help clear it up for me.

If you are a permanent resident in France with no other property at all , if you have a house built as a family home and then sell it before 5 years, are you liable for capital gains tax or the french equivalent?

[quote user="beryl"]

I have had conflicting advice , can any one help clear it up for me.

If you are a permanent resident in France with no other property at all , if you have a house built as a family home and then sell it before 5 years, are you liable for capital gains tax or the french equivalent?

[/quote]

The best advice I can give you is the same as one of the other replies. Ignore the forum and go directly to a notaire and ask. It should not cost you anything for just a basic question like this.

You will not pay capital gains tax but because you pay reduced TVA on new build if you sell a new house within 2 years (I think its 2 years) then you have to pay the additional TVA. I think this is designed to discourage people from moving and making a profit on new homes.But, as everyone else has said, ask a notaire!

The liability for VAT on the first, and only the first, resale of a newbuild house runs for five years from the official registered date of completion.

see

http://www.chambre-meurthe-moselle.notaires.fr/infos/juridique/Actualite/actualite009.htm

If you are  fiscally domiciled in Franceyou are lucky that it is your main residence. For a second home you would pay  VAT, Capital Gains and Social Charges on any gain.

There is no capital gains tax to pay, if you have submitted your tax declarations in France (the only proof that you are resident) but if the property is less than 5 years old you will have to pay TVA (VAT) at 19.6% minus any TVA paid for construction etc.

Anthony Jones

ABC Immobilier

www.immoabc.co.uk