Last day to use your NW debit card for....

mint

Just a little point of view from me. We were over there from mid Sept - end Nov, and from the end of October we used Nationwide's credit card for all purchases instead of our flex account. Today we have received our statement for the credit card, it is in excess of  800 pounds sterling and all the purchases were in France. If I had used my debit card these would have been taken out of my account with in a couple of days, but by using the credit card Nationwide although they will have paid the trader will have to wait until towards the end of December to get my money. If this is repeated by loads of people they are hopefully losing money on this.  At least its a small win for me.

Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you have been using Credit Card since 1st November for all purchases and not the flex Debit Card. I have had a range of exchange rates between 1.173 and 1.194.

Nationwide will not be getting any charges from me at present, although I might have to use Debit card to withdraw cash in the not to distant future.[:(]

[quote user="Department71"]Just a little point of view from me. We were over there from mid Sept - end Nov, and from the end of October we used Nationwide's credit card for all purchases instead of our flex account. Today we have received our statement for the credit card, it is in excess of  800 pounds sterling and all the purchases were in France. If I had used my debit card these would have been taken out of my account with in a couple of days, but by using the credit card Nationwide although they will have paid the trader will have to wait until towards the end of December to get my money. If this is repeated by loads of people they are hopefully losing money on this.  At least its a small win for me.

Steve

[/quote]

Forgot to say it will be paid off in full, therefore no charges to pay.

Elamese.

We are looking at Norwich & Peterborough Building Socy to replace Nationwide, previous post says they are scrapping overseas fee's from 2011

[quote user="Department71"][quote user="Department71"]Just a little point of view from me. We were over there from mid Sept - end Nov, and from the end of October we used Nationwide's credit card for all purchases instead of our flex account. Today we have received our statement for the credit card, it is in excess of  800 pounds sterling and all the purchases were in France. If I had used my debit card these would have been taken out of my account with in a couple of days, but by using the credit card Nationwide although they will have paid the trader will have to wait until towards the end of December to get my money. If this is repeated by loads of people they are hopefully losing money on this.  At least its a small win for me.

Steve

[/quote]

Forgot to say it will be paid off in full, therefore no charges to pay.

Elamese.

We are looking at Norwich & Peterborough Building Socy to replace Nationwide, previous post says they are scrapping overseas fee's from 2011

[/quote]

Unfortunately as I'm French resident then unable to entertain Norwich & Peterborough BS.

[quote user="AnOther"]

Not necessarily, see my earlier post or visit their website.

http://www.nandp.co.uk/mortgages/proving-your-identity

Can I open an account if I don't live in the UK?

[/quote]

Which means the hassle of visiting one of their branches to open an account that also means going back to the UK and I don't see myself doing that..........ever.

Having just read this article about Tesco

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/dec/11/foreign-exchange-tesco

it might be better to examine the small print of the bank/bs conditions before deciding on moving your account; a new account may be "fee free" or "commission free" but who knows what catches there may be hidden away? Is it really "profit free"?

Brian (again)

Surely it goes without saying that you look at the entirety of what's on offer before just going abroad and using whoever's plastic?

I have had a Tesco credit card for years and I retain it for when I buy things in sterling on line.  Unfortunately, I don't go back to the UK at all now so any Tesco points go to waste.