top loading washing machine

mint

I bought a very similar front loader to the one in the last link, same spin speed, probably came out of the same Romanian factory.

Cost €199 nearly 6 years ago and has never missed a beat, easily as good and perhaps better than any of the machines I have bought i the past with perhps the exception of a Phillips top loader which I sold in the 80's and I reckon is still working.

Looks like loadsa bargains out there!  I will balance the cost with the energy performance.  Mind you, I don't wash quite so frequently  as I used to do in the UK (only the laundry, I hasten to add, not myself)

I had a neighbour who used to call if a single day passed when I had no washing on the line.  She used to think I must be ill!

I thought that I was pushing the limits by showering at the swimming pool and only using the washing machine when I have a full load including bedding, my water consumption is now down to 14m3 per year as I have finished  most of the heavy construction work.

My neighbour told me he uses 6m3 per year, I couldnt believe it so he brought round his bills, his last bill was overestimated, he has consistently used less than that.

He doesnt smell any different to everyone else around here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well! Finally bit the capital expenditure bullet and bought a € 159 lave-linge frontal, probably pick it up friday.

Whilst price was undoubtedly an influence, the visit to HyperU to examine the beast was the deciding factor; looking through the port hole will be one whole lot more interesting than watching a top loader.[;-)]

Mine arrived yesterday!  A top loader the same make, Fagor, as my existing one which has worked well for nearly 4 years.  It's a slightly more sophisticated one as it allows you to set the time when you want it to start.  So, no more yawning with fatigue, waiting for heures creuses to start before putting the machine on.  And, no, it wasn't possible to have a time switch as the point was in an awkward space.

The deciding factor was the cost.  It was on promo in our local Leclerc and near the lowest price of all the machines on display.  Then, there was free delivery and 2-year guarantee on parts and labour.

They delivered on the date and time they specified, and the man plugged it in and connected the waste and the water inlet.  Done my first wash and it was nice having familiar controls and it feels just like my old one, so very pleased.

And thank you everybody for all the advice and info.

We bought our machine when we bought our house. That was 1989.

We have now left it for the next owners!!

Still works brilliantly.

Never once needed attention - except when we let the house to americans who couldn't work out how to open the door when the wash had finished.

The trick, incidentally, was to wait 3 minutes!