French Property Insurance

Steve_Meribel

Any hints and tips for getting cheap house insurance?

I only have a tiny single room apartment in a ski resort so don't really want to be spending a fortune (it doens't exactly have a lot of stuff in there), but want something that provides a decent level of service and protection.

What have you all learnt about getting property insurance?

I'm with MMA for house, car, the lot. Dunno if it depends on postcode but my house insurance here is a fraction of what it used to be in the UK. But whoever you choose, do go in and sit down with them and go through what you want and what you don't. Unlike the UK where you just get a quote for 'house insurance', here (with MMA at least) it is very flexible what you include and what you don't so you can pay more or less according to how much cover you need.

I have just renewed with MAAF for the 5th year, having been with Pacifica for a couple of years before.

By going to their office with my renewal quote, I was able to review all our covers (2 cars, 1 scooter and 2 properties, including 1 rental) and managed to save around 200€, whilst getting better, yet cheaper, cover for the cars.

I'm pretty pleased with the MAAF service but the cost for two (far from new and pretty boggo) cars is now astonomical so I'm amazed at that , Clare.  I could also do with a bit  faster response from them sometimes with my claim.  It's three months since my last medical assessment and the report is still outsanding in spite of several conversations with the inspector.  However, until it's all settled I've little choice but to cough up the 900€ they want this year![:-))]

NINE hundred, Coops?  Is that for fully comp for both?

Or do they upload the premiums for people that involve themselves in near-death accidents?[:P]

I've got my jalopy on the legal minimum because I was too frightened to even ask for a quote for fully comp [:(]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

NINE hundred, Coops?  Is that for fully comp for both?

[/quote]Yes.

As the accident has already been established as the other person's fault then no, it has not affected the premiums.  If I had more energy I'd go into the office but just at present I don't feel like the trip to LM or the discussion and the o/h isn't really up to it.  Thus I'll put up with it for now and if I ever get my compensation then we'll start again if we change cars.