replacement car keys

mint

[quote user="vette"]

Try Ebay. I got one there for my car a while ago at a third of the dealer price.

Les.

[/quote]

Thanks vette.  Have tried ebay in 3 countries.  I suppose a "transponder" key is what I need.  Would a blank uncut key be OK?

If it's a transponder key that you need then it IS an immobiliser and will need programming.

I'd be extremely surprised if it hasn't got an immobiliser.

Buy one here:

[url]http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/products/Mazda-Premacy-transponder-key-MAZ24RT.html[/url]

[quote user="AnOther"]If it's a transponder key that you need then it IS an immobiliser and will need programming.

[/quote]

Seconded, however being a Ford/Mazda, check in the handbook as a lot of these can be programmed using the cars in built recoding facility so not requiring the extra and sometimes quite alarming (no pun intended, oh ok then it was [:)])  expense of doing so. You need to recode all of the keys at the same time otherwise your new one will work and any others will stop working [+o(]

[quote user="AnOther"]If it's a transponder key that you need then it IS an immobiliser and will need programming.

Buy one here:

[url]http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/products/Mazda-Premacy-transponder-key-MAZ24RT.html[/url]

[/quote]

Oops apologies, NOT transponder[:$]

That is a brill site, Erns, thank you very much.

Next question for you and Teapot and anyone else in the know.  How do you go about getting the key code?  How many figures does it have?  Can I get it, for example, from Mazda?

If it's not a transponder key then you have no need of a code, just buy a blank and have it cut at your local Brico.

Are you absolutely sure it not a transponder key though, how do you know ?

To prove it conclusively wrap the head of the key in tin foil and try to start the car, unsurprisingly if the key has a transponder then it won't start.

Generally the keycode is on a label with one of the keys, if you haven't got that then you will probably have to have both the existing key and a new one reprogrammed.

If it's a transponder key of course !

• 3 months later...
Erns, I haven't done your foil round the key yet but today I took the key and the blank I bought to the key-cutter and had a replica made.

The replica opened the car door and switched on the electrics BUT would not start the car.

Might have to go to Mazda after all and pay whatever mark-up the choose to use[:'(]

That means it is a transponder key and will need programming. There are instructions for doing that on the site but whether they are fully applicable to your particular car I couldn't say.

It doesn't say anything there about having to reprogramme all the keys though as

Théière

suggests so I wonder if he can substantiate that because if true you might possibly end up in a situation with neither key working !

To check it is a transponder issue tie the working key to the new one or hold it in very close proximity to it and then try to start the car, if it does start then it is a transponder.

As I said before I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't.

I can only substantiate for the Ford as that is how to do those (caveat, on the year of the vehicle I did 2003)  Ford and Mazda are nearly the same company so many bit's will be similar but Ernies link has a slightly different technique so I would follow that unless you have it detailed in the owners handbook (if all else fails read the instructions!) [:)]

Just want to say thank you to you both.

Must be a transponder, as you have described to me.

Meanwhile the panel is lit up and the local garagiste has said it's to do with the air bag so looks like an expensive and inevitable trip to Chez Masda will be in order[:'(]

That doesn't really make sense, the transponder in the good key only needs to

be in the proximity of the ignition switch to work but in any case it's

moot, the new one isn't coded so can't and won't work until it is.

Did you try the programming procedure ?

• 1 month later...
Have come back here to ask if anyone knows somewhere to get a key for less than 162 euros (yes, that's the quote from the concessionaire in Bergérac)?

Nearly 100 euros for the key and the rest for reprogramming and for disposal of les déchats...............

I am lost for words [:-))]

• 3 months later...
Just came back here to thank everyone for the helpful and sympathetic advice.

The good news is that, this morning whilst on dog poo monitoring and removing duties, OH found the keys under a plum tree!

They have been there months.  The keys to both cars were muddied and discoloured and the house keys were rusted.  However, after a clean, all the keys worked...........hooray!

Everybody's just been so kind here and I am jolly glad I held out and refused to pay something like 170 euros for ONE key and re-programming.

[quote user="mint"]They have been there months.  The keys to both cars were muddied and discoloured and the house keys were rusted.  However, after a clean, all the keys worked...........hooray!

[/quote]

My goodness you were fortunate. After all the rain, hail, frosts etc we have had in the interim I am astonished (but delighted) that the rediscovered keys worked.

Congratulations on the find  !

Sue [:)]

Unless they were battery powered radio keys for remote central locking all of which wont work after immersion  a chipped key will still work in the ignition and start the car.

And how do I know? - I have been submerged a couple of times in my kayak and once even scuba dived to 40m having forgotten that my keys were in the Pocket of my gilet.

In all cases after removing the batteries, having a good clean up and dry out, the remote control functions worked again with fresh batteries but it was fresh water not sea water immersion.

I even had a mobile phone which vibrated into the washing up bowl, when I came home I could see "1 appel loupe" staring at me from the depths, and the phone continued to work after cleaning and drying although failed a month later, there must have been a lot of grease in the washing up water.