3 way conversion

Alan Zoff

Not strictly for this forum but I am hoping someone can assist me.

I am in England at present, about to be visited by a friend who works in America and who will be passing through here (Cheltenham) on his way to France. He has obtained an item for me in the States for which I have to repay him the $399 purchase price. However, he needs euro notes while he is in France so he has asked me to buy $399 worth of euros. To do that, I will have to walk into a Post Office or similar and hand over UK pounds. Rates quoted on the internet vary between dealers but more importantly are very different as between official rates and paper purchases.

Anyone able to advise me how many euros I should buy so as to be fair to both parties?

It is probably easier than I am making it sound but solving maths problems has never been among my limited strengths. Indeed, this sort of question would have caused me to dribble down my shorts in a school exam.

Step 1: check the euro dollar exchange rate on the date of purchase which will tell you how many euros

Step 2: buy that amount of euros from UK exchange. But I am not sure where as I havent exchanged money for years.

You will have to pay commission somewhere. Post office used to be good years ago.

Indeed wb, Harry Ramsdens was "THE" fish and chip shop just outside Bradford considered by many me included, as the best in the UK. I used to go to Bradford occasionally to work and along with my fellow tradesmen always took a trip to Harrys. Unfortunately, as with lots of business these days there are now franchises all over, but not the same. As someone said nostalgia is always better LOL

Now this old lass has not yet lost the plot[:-))].

Ramsdens is a very old pawn shop in the NE and has got involved in currency exchange and gives very good rates.

Do you know I have never had fish and chips from the other Ramsdens, nor from The Magpie in Whitby. Neither on my list of things to do[:P]

Harry Ramsden's, long ago franchised, but best fish 'n chips in't north .... actaully at Guiseley, mate, half way between Leeds and Bradford, and as I was brought in a village down the road nearer to Guiseley than either Leeds or Bradford, I can say that for sure.  In fact, in those days, my dentist was there.

Christmas treat after panto in (dare I say it Bradford, Leeds was not the city then that it is now), was fish and chips at Harry Ramsden's on the way home, tea, bread and butter and all.  And for us children, a present from the tree.Lovely old restaurant, high ceiling, a child's paradise!  Proper waitress service and all, black and white outfits. ... in the 60's is when I am describing this.

Visited it about 10-15 years ago when I was back in the area ... not a patch on it .. and I think it's now gone the way of many.  In the old days it was also a proper take away fish shop too, which of course, is where it all started in that very building.

Yes, I'm sure your right Judith, I don't remember exactly where Harry Ramsdens was Just the fact we worked in Bradford is probably why I thought it was there. Wherever it was it was fabulous. A shame to hear that the situation today isn't the same. What I will say is that the Magpie in Whitby is very good, as you said fish, chips, bread and butter and a mug of tea. We always spend New Year in Lincoln with my wife's 3 sisters and spouses, last year we went to the pier in Cleethorpes which has opened as a huge fish and chip emporium, it was also very good so I've already spoken to my Brother in law about booking a table for New Years day.

Thanks, Nick.  And I could still show where it used to be!  It is still possible to find good fish and chips, but it was not just the food but the whole ambiance that worked.  I know we visited with London friends when were in conference in Harrogate once in the 90's, and even then it was not a patch on when went in the 60's.  (or was it even 50's, but it certainly would not have changed much in those decades.) 

Only difference to your Whitby one .. not a mug of tea - a proper pot, with hot water to adjust .. never see that theses days!