Just curious....

Kittycat

I would imagine its very much like the UK whereby people advertise in things like Daltons Weekly and every so often, the tax people have a purge and investigate advertisers,especially those who are regulars.Holiday lettings are extremely fair game as I understand from someone I know in the tax office over there. I don't think the gendarmes here investigate anything off their own backs unless they are asked to and this comes from someone whose husband was reported as working on the black for english people by a jealous electrician some 60miles from here, where both he and my husband were working together and the house owner didn't like the electrician's attitude or lack of turning up every day and had a go at him,resulting in us getting the flak. We weren't bothered and even got an apology from the officers for wasting our time.

[quote]Is that really what the police are for? I would have expected the tax authorities to instigate an investigation if they suspected tax avoidance.[/quote]

The powers and duties of the gendarmerie are very different from those of an English police force.

In England the police are only really involved in criminal law whereas in France they get involved in what would be regarded as civil cases, fraud, tax evasion etc under the English common law-based system.

I think Val is correct in that they tend to act on reports rather than on their own initiative. They do carry out routine checks on businesses - though these seem to be picked out from official records, i.e. registered companies, rather than unofficial businesses found from small ads and the like.

They were very interested in my little business when I got stopped for minor offence (90euros) and they spotted my gardening equipment in the Van!

I had to take my registration papers into local gendarmerie and they took details.

None of them have phoned me yet to ask for their grass to be mowed!!

regards.......helen