How do electric meters work ?

Owens88

Let me elaborate.

I know that we have been receiving lower voltages than the norm (there is a previous thread lurking in the corners of this forum somewhere). I know that we are charged according to KW but what does the meter actually measure?

e.g if it actually measures Amps but then is scaled to reflect an average 230v,                     as     (KW = v*a/1000)   I may have the possibility of a claim back on the edf bill ?

Here's hoping.

How do you know you have been receiving low volts ?. I assume EDF have

an equivalent system to UK where the tolerance on voltage levels is

quite wide. You have to get them to fit a recording voltmeter over a

period of time to prove that the volts were outside the legal

tolerance. Godd luck, I wont hold my breath for you !!!!!!

>How do you know you have been receiving low volts ?.

I complained. They sent a man. He meshurd and confirmed. (204-207 ish) Its all in a separate thread but that's the gist.

Disappointed that the meters are complex enough to measure V*I  !!!!

It is actually 230v +/-10%  not 220.

This applies to all EU countries affiliated to CENELEC and has applied for some years now.  Individual countries are allowed to set tighter tolerance limits - the UK, for example, is 230v +10%/-6%.  Effectively, this allowed countries which previously had nominal supply voltages of 220v or 240v to continue to supply within existing limits. All CENELEC countroes now have a specified nominal supply voltage of 230v.

So . . .

anything between 207v and 253v is acceptable. Remember, however,that this will be determined to be at the point of supply, i.e. at your meter. You may well experience volt drop after the meter wich is your problem not EDF's. Also, this figure is an everage supply voltage so it is possible that you might get less than 207v at times and more at other times (probably in the middle of the night when demand is low. If you were to push EDF into doing something, they would probably fit a voltage analyser to your supply (at great cost, no doubt) and they would then be able to come up with an average figure over a period of a week. To be honest, the odds are stacked against you  !

Eslier's response is closest to what I had found out previously. The facts are on an edf web site somewhere (and I quoted them on this forum previously !).

However l'homme de EDF accepted there was a problem (to do with the resau apparently). His gizmos said 204-207 at their meter.

My point in this thread was to ascertain whether a reduced voltage might cause a faulty meter reading (for kw). Apparently not, unfortunately.

Cheers all.

John