do we dont we?

wildside

just popped into The Dont Live IN FRANCE web site.Knew about most of it already so we have been doing our homework.Regarding working for seven months of a year purely to pay taxes was an eye-opener.Has anyone any information about this as it would be nice to make enough money to live,at least as well as we do here,which isnt all that great,but we eat!

[quote]just popped into The Dont Live IN FRANCE web site.Knew about most of it already so we have been doing our homework.Regarding working for seven months of a year purely to pay taxes was an eye-opener.Ha...[/quote]

Hi

I have often said that, in the case of large descisions, unless ALL parties involved are 100% behind it, then it is not worth doing. Only you and yours can make your descisions. The information you are asking for is available on this site and others like TF and AI, but you would be well advised to talk directly to the appropriate agencies, such as the USSARF, APNE Chambre de Metiers etc.

The taxation system in France is fantastically complex and the amount you pay depends on a whole number of factors (although it isn't as high as 7/12ths), all of which you will have to understand before you can judge how much you will pay.

Trying to correspond with the likes of USSARF is difficult, emails even more problematic. It is always best to visit them in person (or pay someone, such as an accountant to do it for you).

Think carefully!

[quote]pro`s and con`s list them, just list them say no more good bye!!!![/quote]

pro's and con,s are exactly why we are asking you!We want to move to France but all we seem to gather,by way of information is sarcastic comments and nothing constructive.we are told the French wont like us,but it is some of the BRITS IN france that seem reluctant for us to join them.Trust me I wont be your next door neighbour,I've had a gutful of them over here!Cheers for the help sorry for not being more specific!Au Revoir .

[quote]Hi I have often said that, in the case of large descisions, unless ALL parties involved are 100% behind it, then it is not worth doing. Only you and yours can make your descisions. The information yo...[/quote]

Many Thanks for the organisations you mentioned,we shall definitely look into it.We very keen to get started,we still on heavy homework stage,got just a few pets and son to settle too.Thanks again!

Hi wildside - don't know if it's any help but we have registered as a micro (we are in our second year) and it has been heavy going! The work is the easy part and we love it. Partner works full-time and I work part-time but because it is a micro our ceiling for earnings (before we have to pay TVA and change regime) is around 29,000 euros (we don't earn anywhere near the ceiling as yet).

It was difficult getting understandable and consistent advice from the different organisations we have had to register with - Chambre de Commerce, MSA etc etc. We have tried to muddle through without an accountant (as we didn't think we could afford one) but looks like we will have to get one as the deluge of paperwork (in technical French) is difficult for us to cope with.

Our first year's cotisations (social security payments) were 3450 euros and we also had insurance 1680 plus various subscriptions to pay on top of that. Obviously we get some back as pension payments if we live that long!

Luckily no income tax paid as yet but we expect to pay some for 2004 as our income has increased. We also have taxe professionelle (40euros) and our cotisations will be recalculated on earnings next year (our first year was calculated on a formula basis 1000xSMIC and then minus something %). See what I mean about it being difficult to fathom?

Anyway apart from all this we absolutely love living and working here. 1000 times better than our previous employment (not selfemployed) in the UK.

Two tips though, don't buy a rural place miles from neighbours (you may get burgled and you will take much longer to learn French), and have enough capital to tide you over for a couple of years "just in case" whilst you get established.

Good luck........helen

"don't buy a rural place miles from neighbours (you may get burgled and you will take much longer to learn French)"

I have neighbours and no doubt not having any has its disadvantages but... neighbours are absolutely not a protection against burglary... and plenty of English people with neighbours don't learn French, I don't think neighbours are much of a factor in language-learning for most people. As one Frenchman said of his English neighbour "He says bonjour, I say hello". Not a big step towards fluency and very typical. Yes, you can practise on your neighbours (unless you are very unlucky) but you are unlikely to be taught by them.

In our corner of France ( Gers) almost all the non-retired expats we know are self - employed and like Helen above just make a living. One exception is someone we met who is a joiner by trade and found work with a french employer at a wage of 9 euro per hour. With a 35 hour week it doesn't add up to much. Another exception is someone who works for the aerospace industry at Toulouse and is on a good wage, also a part-time teacher of english as a foreign language in a college in Toulouse. There is perhaps more opportunity to make a living near a big town or city. If you can afford to come over to try it, and go back if things don't work out, I would certainly go for it. Pat.