Nuclear fusion project

bedders

The proposed nuclear fusion project, which i understand will commence construction in 2006, will require masses of construction workers of all disciplines. Does anyone consider that the Fench will require engineers etc from outside the country, or will they absorb some of the unemployed from within?

I am well aware of the French expertise in this field, so am i hoping against hope they may require some "foreigners".

Any comments gratefully received.  

I'm afraid I can't answer you question directly, but I think your understanding of the nature of this development is not correct. This is NOT a French project but a multinational project which will be located in France. It will not be "the French" that will require anything. The construction and project management companies employed may not be French, they may be American, Japanese, British, German, Russian - who knows? Some of the construction labouring force will probably be local.

When the project is running the scientific and administration staff will almost certainly be selected from the most appropriate candidates anywhere in the world. My guess is that the only real benefit to the local French economy will be a demand for low level jobs - catering, caretaking, basic maintenance etc.

Yes, i am well aware this will be a multinational project, but being situated in France, where nuclear know how is as well developed as anywhere, i assume most of the scientific/engineering expertise is already available.

Any nation which can construct the Millau bridge, nuclear powered aircraft carriers and many nuclear power stations, has much to offer the project.

I shall keep tabs on the way the project develops, as it may have some bearing on where we end up in France, it would not only be an interesting way to end a career, but sure beats trying to live off gite income.    

As we drove over the bridge on the way back from holidays, i kept thinking of Sir Norman Fosters other great triumph, the one over the Thames to Tate modern!! the one that required shock absorbers to stop it from wobbling.

Back to Provence, this project would seem a possible employment prospect for expats in southern France, that's struggling for employment/income, or am i being naive?

No, I don't think it's being naive to hope for work for non-French on this project, but I think relevant experience will be sought - not just any no-hoper British builder struggling at present to find work au noir. Being not a million kilometres from Switzeland, and CERN, might count for something too. Though as it's still a good few years before building the EPR at Flamanville is likely to get under way there will be plenty of French expertise available.

Mind you, it's tempting - with a bit of background in nuclear power I could move south, but having spent a few Augusts working on the south coast I think I prefer the less-intense heat north of the Loire for working in.

Mr Conquerer, i seem to remember your an ex contractor, in the engineering field maybe? My background doesn't include nuclear experience, but does include some power station work, with all that entails. High pressure pipework, utilities etc, both design & supervision, perhaps you could keep the forum informed as to whom various contracts are awarded, so we may be able to make enquiries when the time comes.

Information should be easier to source from your side perhaps.

Hello Bedders - my comments were made rather tongue in cheek. I haven't worked in contract engineering design for nearly 20 years now, having given it all up in 1985/6 to go into writing. My nuclear experience was on the staff of a magazine called 'Nuclear Engineering International', but I've also worked on various other power generation titles. So my contacts, and information, are well out of date.

Never mind, if I come across any employment opportunities in France on this, or any other project, I will of course let the forum know (as long as I don't want to get there first of course )

Yes, i am well aware this will be a multinational project, but being situated in France, where nuclear know how is as well developed as anywhere, i assume most of the scientific/engineering expertise is already available.

The expertise that France possesses in its own right is in nuclear fission (extracting the energy contained in very large atoms such as uranium and plutonium) this project is concerned with nuclear fusion (harnessing the energy released when light atoms such as hydrogen are combined).

To the best of my knowledge, the main repository of expertise in this area in Europe currently is at JET at Culham near Oxford.

What's the betting that Americans will have project and design leadership?

You seem to be viewing this project from a scientific stance, whereas i'm more interested in the engineering one, where fusion/fission is less important, ie utilities, pipework, quality assurance etc. would be much the same. The French have an abundance of nuclear engineering experience, which should be readily transferable from fission to fusion.

JET at Culham, is as you say, probably where the greatest nucleus (pardon the pun) of fusion knowledge is to be found. Regarding project leadership, did i not read recently that BNFL is offering for sale its nuclear construction arm (Westinghouse i think) just at a time when this country (Britain) is in need of a couple of large new generating stations. Forward planning British style.

http://www.premier-ministre.gouv.fr/information/actualites_20/reacteur_experimental_fusion_nucleaire_53385.html

ITER, is this what you are on about.

If the british govt are putting money into this then you should contact the science research council in the UK and ask what is going on. If they don't have all the facts, then they should be able to put you onto who will.

Well this is what I believe will happen.  Engineers, scientist (highly skilled) will be sourced globally including some from France. The non-french will have very nice ex-pat packages which will put the house prices/accommodation costs up. Of course the french will benefit from this as they will get a good premium for their house.  The rest of the local french will begrudge this and blame this all on the ex-pats who will be awash with lovely cash in the form of disposible income which they will spend in the shops.

And so it goes on. So all in all the French will benefit in someways. As for jobs, english will probably be the preferred language of business, so those frenchies need to brush up on their english to get a decent job or lose out to the ex-pats on a 2 year secondment. Come to think of it the 2 year secondment and lovely ex-pat package is probably cheaper than paying a french person and be landed with rigid CDI contracts for someone who only wants to work 35 hours a week!

Deby

17 Charente-Maritime

Deby,

I was in this same field 10 years ago. The British professors eat packed lunches every day and wore clothes that were either from charity shops or 10 year old M&S stuff. One of my profs was promoted after 30 years work, a renowned expert in his field, to the absolutely highest grade in the university, and was earning 44K... I left and immediately got a job paying double than the research assistants who were teaching me earnt... within three years at age 28 I had surpassed what my prof was earning. This is not even mentioning how poor us research students were...

There is no money in the academic science game, at least not in the UK.