Travelling computer man

Herring_Brother

We're still living in the UK (Wales), and have just bought a house in 47. Thinking of moving over (at some time), and have the usual (I assume) dilema of making a living.

Have been considering setting up a service going around sorting out peoples computer probs (home & business maybe?). Has anybody else tried a similar type of service, and with what outcome?

Brain strained Matt.

[quote]We're still living in the UK (Wales), and have just bought a house in 47. Thinking of moving over (at some time), and have the usual (I assume) dilema of making a living. Have been considering settin...[/quote]

Have been considering setting up a service going around sorting out peoples computer probs (home & business maybe?). Has anybody else tried a similar type of service, and with what outcome?

Yes, several. Just have a look at the "I'm a Computer Expert" type ads in FPN and French News. Most will be working on the black and if you join them you will probably do ok. Computer experts and website designers seem to be the new thing replacing the time honoured tradition of turning into a fully qualified builder when you arrive off the ferry.

[quote]Have been considering setting up a service going around sorting out peoples computer probs (home & business maybe?). Has anybody else tried a similar type of service, and with what outcome?Yes, severa...[/quote]

I don't think it's necessary to be so degenerating about IT workers.

A simple answer as yes that's possible or no sorry it's not will do.

Being a registered graphic designer myself and a web designer I do not appreciate this.

It's the customers own responsibility to check the credentials of the people they want to employ.

So Matt, don't get discouraged. If you have talent for web design or are a computer whiz go for it. There are lots of people who do this kind of consulting. Especially to the expat community. Contact some of the people you see advertising and ask for their opinion. Contact small business and ask if they would be interested in a monthly or quarterly maintenance. Think of offering short workshops of how to use the internet in France etc.. if you think you can support yourself with that, go to the URSSAF and ask about being registered and how much it will cost you monthly. They do have brochures about that.

--

Tink (22)

[quote]I don't think it's necessary to be so degenerating about IT workers. A simple answer as yes that's possible or no sorry it's not will do.Being a registered graphic designer myself and a web designer I...[/quote]

Shirley you mean "denigrating" ?

regards

Peter (degenerate ex-IT worker and member of the Campaign for Real Pedantry)

[quote]We're still living in the UK (Wales), and have just bought a house in 47. Thinking of moving over (at some time), and have the usual (I assume) dilema of making a living. Have been considering settin...[/quote]

Dont worry about PK, a troublemaker. !!  Just do your homework and good luck!!!

[quote]Shirley you mean "denigrating" ? regards Peter (degenerate ex-IT worker and member of the Campaign for Real Pedantry)[/quote]

I 'shirley' mean 'denigrating'.

No wonder my spellchecker didn't pick that one up. ;-)

--

Tink (22) who's not a native English speaker

I did a bit of this in the UK as an adjunct to my IT freelancing work. I actually found it quite difficult to make money. Most people took their PC's into PC World or some such under guarantee and those that didn't did not seem willing to pay market rates.

I think you may have a similar problem here. Unless you speak very good French your market is going to English speakers. In 22 many are retired and again are reluctant to pay markets rates. As we know with PC's, things always take longer than you think and it's not always a SW problem, then you have to go and source replacement HW, fit, test and fingers crossed it now works.

You will get alot of word-of-mouth business via the ex-pat community, but many escapees are not wealthy, and the travelling distances are potentially very large.

I know it seems very negative, but unless it's just for pin money I think you may struggle.

Good luck,

[quote]I did a bit of this in the UK as an adjunct to my IT freelancing work. I actually found it quite difficult to make money. Most people took their PC's into PC World or some such under guarantee and tho...[/quote]

Unfortunately, not just for pin money, I was hoping for a steady income.

I suppose it could work based on others comments, but I think I'll need to do some more head scratching & beard stroking.

Matt

Not quite the same as your idea, but there's an english-run computer shop in Eymet, Dordogne. ( all legal with a siret number, PK ). If interested I can give their phone number to ask advice. We are in 32 and there's a shop in our nearest town, Mirande ,run by a frenchman who is fluent in english. He also runs computer courses. He always seems to be busy. Pat.

• 1 year later...

Well I think its a brilliant idea and I hope you can do it and make some money too. Having just had a computer crash I was at my wits end trying to sort it out and desperate to find a man (or woman for that matter) who could.

We bought our computer from Eymet but having since moved and we were looking at a 3 hour run and 3 hour back journey to take it there so when we were told about someone local I was over the moon.

He came out and took it away and fixed it in 3 days and gave initial advice over the phone, brilliant.

The ex pat community does prefer to buy english computers as they need an english operating system, no matter how fluent in french you may be if something goes horribly wrong you need to understand what's going on so to take an english computer to a french computer expert is not going to work easily.

The provision of english computers in France seems a bit limited, as other posters have said there is the one in Eymet and they are very good but along way to travel for most.

But I have to agree that once registered which you need to be really then you could find the ongoing social costs prohibitive.

Good luck and keep researching.

Carol

www.dordogne-on-line.info

There are now two computer shops in Emet (24) both British run, and lots of other people including me just as I used to do in the UK  doing some repairs/computer instalations on the black in  (north 47) and I don't feel guilty about it.[6]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I am in the IT Consulting business my self and work for a fairly decent company, and make a fairly decent living.

What type of computer skills do you have? Is it limited to the fix the OS, clean the temp files, install drivers type, or can you do stuff like BizTalk, Sharepoint, Oracle  et al.

Feel free to reach out to me, I might be able to help you out. No promises...