Im new! hehe

lucid

Although fun to read most of these comments aren't particularly useful to lucid.

A-levels are the equivalent of the Bac, which by itself unfortunately is not really worth much in terms of getting a job (nowadays it's useful as a qualifaction that allows you to go to university. A few years ago I think it enabled you to become a postman, but no longer). As someone else mentioned in another thread, you can always register with an agency like Manpower but the kind of jobs that will be open to people who speak little or no French will be quite limited, and possibly unpleasant/tiring.

Your partner having a degree may be useful, it depends in what subject. If it has anything to do with sectors where English is widely used in the workplace (marketing, international transport etc) the chances of getting a job will be better. Having said that, I have several friends who are French, well qualified (law degrees etc), a few of them speak good to excellent English, and they have all had difficulties in the job market. Most young French people do.

Not wanting to sound pessimistic, but just so you know what to expect.

Bouffon

How can you know all of this?  I didn't have a great education either and I left school with a few exams.  At 16 staying on and furthering my education was the last thing I wanted.  But I don't get bitter about others around me who are educated and it doesn't necessarily make you a better person for it.  Why do you feel educated people suppress free thought?  Is it perhaps you are envious of them and are trying to make yourself feel better by throwing insults at them.  You really should be happy with youself as you are, if not then do something about it.

Dotty

How does one define 'educated'? Just having spent a lot of time in full-time education doesn't make you any more able, more intelligent or a more rounded person. Apart from a three-month course when I was 35, I have been out of full-time education since the age of 15.

So that makes me a thickie by most people's definition, fair enough,

I just have to fall back on that dreadful 'university of life' cliché. Yet without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I have been told, as a result of psychometric and other tests, that I can count myself as an equal to most people with a good degree, and have indeed held down the sort of job that generally requires such qualification.

I know that Dick Smith is an intelligent and well-educated person, exactly as he comes across in his contributions to the forum. I have never had the pleasure of le bouffon's acquaintance but am sure that he is an equally worthwhile person in his own way.

No, Will, it doesn't make you a 'thickie' just someone who stopped their formal education before exams. Like me.

As you well understand what I and most others on this thread are complaining about are Outcast's objectionable postings in which he/she seeks to insult and bully. I am surprised that as a moderator you are inclined to treat that so tolerantly.

I think that gratuitous insults are uncalled for, and can, in many cases, be contrary to the forum code of conduct to which all users agree. Le Bouffon is sailing very close to the wind by, among other things, calling Dick a bully, equally other users are sinking to the same level by insulting Le Bouffon, and in doing so, in the interest of fairness to all, it would not be right to take any action against Le Bouffon unless similar measures were applied to others in this topic. The best way for users to deal with 'objectionable' postings is to ignore them, and report them to the admin team.

I feel as a moderator that both sanctions and tolerance should be applied equally. I am well aware that Le Bouffon has admitted previously to being somebody who has been excluded from the forum before, under another identity. There is no rule against re-registering, but having belonged to the forum, and experienced termination of registration, before implies knowledge of what is acceptable under the code of conduct so lower levels of 'tolerance' apply in this case.

Unless the topic gets back to its subject, relating to earning a living in France, I shall lock it and probably delete the irrelevant posts from all concerned.

How funny that you mention Spain,since the teachers here in France aswell of lots of other public service empolyees have been on strike again!!!!!we went down to Spain for the day (30kms away)kids loved playing on the beach and we took a walk round the marina also and the memories came rushing back,it was a rather nice day, 21oC at times.