Course to start up a business?

Hev&Jon

Hi Everyone,

My husband is a floor and wall tiler by trade but can do a bit of everything in the building trade really.

We're moving to the Aveyron in March and although we have enough savings to last us a year or so, if there's work available then he wouldn't turn it down.

I've read about the difficulties in setting up a small business in France, and have also heard that there's a course you can go on to find out everything you need to do to set up a business.  I've also heard that it doesn't have to be the person setting up the business who goes on the course (i.e. it could be me that takes the course instead).

If anyone knows of such a course which is held in the Aveyron (in English) please let me know.

Thanks,

Heather.

The Stage de Gestion is held by the local Chambre de Metiers for all persons wishing to set up in business as a tradesman etc. You have to do the course to get registered for a SIRET number and be swallowed by the ever-hungry for money french social charge system. All you need to know about running a french registered business will be covered, don't expect it to be in english though and be prepared to pay out once you are registered. Your nearest large town should have a Chambre where you need to apply, courses are usually run every few months or so depending on numbers applying to make it worth while as it lasts five full days and you have to pay for it.

Hello Heather

First of all welcome to the lovely bit of France - whereabouts are you going in the Aveyron?

To my knowledge there are no English language set-up courses in the Aveyron, but they are pretty helpful to foreigners and there is certainly provision for learning French.  My husband - who had no French on arrival - attended Government assisted courses in Villefranche de Rouergue and now, 4 years later,  works for a French plumbing and electrical outfit.  Generally the Aveyron is pretty rural and English speakers in anything - banks, doctors, all admin - are minimal, though I understand that there is someone who speaks French at the Chambre de Commerce in Rodez, so they maybe able to give you more useful information.  I don't know much about the south side of the department as I actually live on the border just in the Tarn & Garonne.  Ron - if he's out there - may be able to help a bit more.

Be aware that to set up as an artisan your husband will possibly need to prove his experience and/or qualifications in the trade and it certainly helps if you have the necessary paperwork to hand when you go the Chambre de Metiers.  Be prepared also to earn a great deal less than in the UK.  That said  - it is lovely, if somewhat cold, here!

Good luck and if you need any more information feel free to contact me.

Maggi

Hello Maggi

Not really much to add to your post, it is cold and I still have snow from the falls the weekend before last, but this drizzle will see it off today I expect.

The towns most likely to have courses are Rodez, Villefranche de Rouergue and Millau, Heather should ask at your local Mairie, they should be able to tell you the nearest.

English is certainly not widely spoken in 12 although some cafe owners and shopkeepers do speak some English and are keen to practice it for the tourist trade,  I know one couple who have managed to seek out  English speaking vets, dentists,  doctors etc, but they have had to travel far and wide to do so.

I agree, I doubt that any professional course in France would be in English, Heather's O/H will have to learn French quickly if he wants to work here, this is not an area where there are hoards of new English settlers  looking for English speaking tilers, builders perhaps, but not tilers, so to survive he would have to work for the locals and speak French.  There are courses in Villefranche for immigrant workers at the centre sociale, I don't know of any others in 12 and as people come from as far away as Caussade, Cahors and Figeac, so  I doubt that there are many similar courses in the area.  He might be able to get in quickly as he is working, but at the moment there is a year's waiting list for the debutante classes.

I believe, from other postings here and elsewhere, that a stage de gestion course in English is run from time to time in the Dordogne region, and there may be similar courses in other areas with a high number of English speakers. The accountancy practice in Brittany which we use is also seriously considering offering training in French business practises, in English, to those starting business in France. There is certainly a need for such a service.

But Ron is quite right, if you intend to live and work in France you really do need to make an effort with the language. You have to deal with officials, suppliers etc as well as all the people you meet in day-to-day life, and being unable to communicate at a basic level will put you at a serious disadvantage. True, some people manage it, but life is so much better if you try.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

There are courses in Villefranche for immigrant workers at the centre sociale, I don't know of any others in 12 and as people come from as far away as Caussade, Cahors and Figeac, so  I doubt that there are many similar courses in the area.  He might be able to get in quickly as he is working, but at the moment there is a year's waiting list for the debutante classes.

[/quote]

Hi All,

Thank you for your info.  Ron, from your post quoted above it sounds like there are two different courses?

We are learning French and do hope to become fluent, however at this stage neither of us would be ready to attend a government run course on setting up a business in French.

Thanks again,

Heather.

Hello Heather,

my partner is registered with the Chambre de Metier in Rodez as a carpenter, he has been working here for just over eighteen months now and is very busy indeed.

He may have the need for a 'tiler' with some of the jobs he will be working on in the near future if you are interested.(might be something to be going on with until you get registered). 

We live 35km south of Rodez and most of his work is in Aveyron, if you are interested, please get in touch, have sent email also.

Bernadette 

Heather

It is one establishment called A.S.T.I , it has five levels of courses depending on starting ability, There is Debutante, Debutante 2, Faux debutante and two intermediate classes, so overall a five year course.  Progression is both by abilty and time.   Faux Debutante is the third year class but is also the entry class if you speak a bit of French but cannot read or write it.  These are not French courses for English people they are  for all nationalities and ONLY French is spoken in class, although some of the teachers speak English it's use in class is unfair to the other nationalities and frowned on.