Actually finding work...

Ty Korrigan

Ty,

Thanks so much for the very helpful info.

Yes, its six weeks since I was attached to a 'team', working 9-5. But still the prospect of plain hard graft without much responsibility nor any of the usual politicking feels very appealing.

We'll see how things go with our current efforts.

No, I don't understand the French system or why it seems to weigh so heavily on the shoulders of any free-enterpriser. Did you hear the Bushism the year before last? "The problem with the French is they've got no word for 'entrepreneur' ."

Best wishes for the coming working year.

• 2 weeks later...
Another of those things that I still find odd in France that a salary cheque will be paid up to two weeks after the month one works. Also those cheques, at La Poste depending on the account they could take over a week to clear in the past. Fortunately I now believe that the new Banque Postale clears cheques in a couple of days.

Hi to you guys,

It's funny but i have been in a similar position for the last three years during .Dec and Jan..but  in the Uk,

as we go back there for a long Xmas and winter visit to families , a  bonus of running a seasonal business in France i suppose!!. 

Being 39 i have found that the work generally offered at agencies in the Uk has been factory shifts, yet i have a degree in Business and am obviously looking to use my experience and qualifications to earn the best money going. It seems no one wants...or its hard to find 6 to 8 weeks of temporary admin  work, even though the agencies advertise it, when i go in and ask i am told to register...and usually hear nothing back.

Meanwhile the labour agencies have something starting within a day or two, in a warehouse or factory......and thats me busy for a month or so. No problem, i do a hell of a lot of manual work here in the Dordogne so its not like hard work (mostly).

On the opposite side, the funny thing is i have been offered more work in the last year or so, mostly gardening and changeovers etc for second home owners, than i could  hope to manage,  and this at twice the rate i was getting in the Uk.

C'est la vie eh !! 

• 1 month later...
Hello again,

Well its mid March and the grass is growing and the clients are stirring so this Friday I bid farewell to the Factory and start up the gardening again.

The Chef has told me that if I am ever short of work then I am to pass by...

I shan't miss it though.

This winter was one of the grimmest periods of my life so far.

I am not sure I want to go through that again just for the pleasure of living here in France when the sun shines....

The answer of course is to earn enough from the gardening to carry me through the winter....

Unlikely.

Still, after the word got around the ex-pat community that there was an Anglais actually working in this factory several other hopefull Brits knocked on the office door.

All however where monoglot beyond the basic vocabulary and so where refused work. Health and safety you see...

I appreciate how lucky I was to find this work and pray I never find myself in a position where work is unobtainable for me.

The other interims described to me the work available in 'agroailmentaire'....not nice at all.

However, if I had a family to support then I would do anything and never moan about it.

Now the girlfriend wishes to try for a life in the U.K. If I want to keep her then I suppose that I should give her that chance and go with her.

If I could do it differently here, I should live closer to the coast for both our work depends on tourists really.

We shall see....

Not exactly the message they give you in "A Place in the Sun", is it, but a useful reality check.

France seems great for those who can retire early with decent pensions or who have established reputations with jobs based on the internet or have qualifications (that are recognised in France) in thriving areas of work. Otherwise, competing in the general job market is tough. And although it seems as if you can live reasonably well quite cheaply in France, nothing is cheap if you have nothing coming in.

Are you going to take your gardening enterprise with you or try something completely different?

This is like advice in reverse, but have you thought about renting out your property in France so you can come back if needs be? I think renting in the UK is the wisest option to start with, I think you'd have to rob a bank to get a deposit for even a grotty house in the UK now!

I hope it all goes well for you.

Hello,

My gardening round is basically hard won good will plus investment in tools and machinery.

I have no plans made as yet but I have considered simply giving away my client base to another deserving entreprise.

I have had a great start in a faily mediocre location so I am certain I could repeat my initial success elsewhere in a better location for the pair of us in the future.

The reality for young French people leaving education is grim and my lass is lucky to find a position in La Poste even though it is not what she trained for.

Renting out my place here...?

I shall consider this...thanks.