What will you do for a living...? Wish I knew!!!!

1simon1

Hi to everyone. I am wifie of the above carpenter/HGV man moving out to Limousin in Feb '07. Everyone is really excited that we are having a go but the question always comes up....What will you do for a living? and yes, I make it up and make it sound so easy! 

The truth is I haven't the foggiest.

I am a qualified fashion designer - although I retired to be mum about 7 years ago,  I can draw but I guess lots  dream of becoming a painter and making enough money to buy the odd baguette.  I work part time as a carer with Leonard Cheshire homes, for people with disabilities, which are international but not near where we will be!!  My language is basic GCSE with a Micheal Thomas top up but not ready for full on conversation yet.   I need to know what chances I have of being able to work as a carer with only a little language (even though it happens over here - I guess  I find it a little odd).

Are there any qualifications I can persue in the next 6 months that will help me  to secure a job, apart from the language which I am still trying hard with?

Any bright ideas welcome, otherwise I stay at home and make bread and jam between milking a goat and squeezing a chicken!

Ta

Rachel.[8-)]

I would quickly learn how to use a saw and become a chippys mate, it would be cheaper than hubby employing some one as i think (if he is good ) he is going to be  busy. and do your painting as a side line,or there is child minding ?or private carer,but you may need local qualifications to do that.

what ever you do i wish you well and good luck with the move[:)]

Hi Racheal,

My hubby and I are looking at moving to Limoge in the near future to run our own business. I had the same thoughts as you "what will i do?". I am a qualified beauty therapist, but don't know what the call is for that out there, and with not speaking fluent French i would find it difficult.

I have noticed tho on this site, they have job vacancies, and there is one for English speaking people to sell Hot tubs. Would you not fancy that?

Lezah

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rachael,

Just an off-the-cuff suggestion, you could get in touch with one of the many British property agents in the area you are moving to and see if they have some UK advertising, p.r. work or secretarial that you could do. You might have to do some training but you would be shielded by an English speaking firm who would help you debvelop your "Franglais"? You might even get to show some Brits around properties on a part time basis? When I went to Geneva to work my French was awful, but the English speaking firm helped me very much and even sent me to see a Grand Duke & a Princess who both required reasonable French to be spoken - I did not get thrown out & they were charming! I still have an Anglo-Swiss accent but everyone can just about understand me!

Otherwise, why not try the internet and do an E-bay business. Selling nice things you find in France to buyers in the UK or elsewhere. Or a service you can offer by e-mail, etc. just a thought!

We are thinking of moving to France so I shall be looking to do E-bay work at least.

Best regards from the Highlands of Scotland

Crofter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachel,

I , also the wife of a builder and moving out to the limousin area in oct 06, I am a qualified house wife!!!  As my hubby runs his own firm , i may have to be his third hand out in france, I have just passed a level 1 in ceramics!  may be i should make my own pots , that will have to be in 10 years time when we finally finish the BIG renovation project we are taking on !   in the meantime i may have to bake bread ,grow my veg, and feed the chickens !  and just fit in with the great lifestyle and hope for the best for our family ,  good luck in job hunting !

xxx lisa.

• 2 weeks later...
hi

I am moving to france next week, and I am terrified. My French is very basic. Intially we will be in the charente region while we do up our new home, my husband has his own business and I have no idea what I am going to do.

I am a midwife and have been working up until last week,  we have two young children so I will be looking after them as well but want to feel that I am contributing in some way. I have no idea how to go about getting work in France, or even if I can, I know my qualification is valid in most countries, I have heard from a french friend that the local hospital is keen to have someone english speaking inthe maternity department as there are many english mothers who find it difficult as antenatal  and labour is managed so different from the uk, but I am not sure if I am employable

I am worried about being lonely and bored....... hope that doesnt sound selfish

Helen

Helen, we're only here for long holidays but from what I see as just a 12 to 15 week a year visitor lots of ladies are very lonely and very bored.  You're not being selfish you're being realistic and good for you.  Many won\t admit it to family, friends even themselves but year round life in rural france isn't all it's cut up to be.  Unless you speak good french, are quite outward going and mix well, ideally have a job (nigh on impossible, most peoples UK qualifications are not recognised, even teachers) you are going to be bored especially in long winter.  We have friends just south of Angouleme and the weather as in most parts of the south west can be quite horrible in the winter when it rains for months on end and is really cold.  Unless you drive you won't meet anyone, it's not like the UK.  Most people have damp houses, utilities are so high you daren't keep the heating on as you would at home.  Expat Brits are supposedly friendly but it's the usual thing in a small community and it's pot luck if you just click with anyone nearby.  I know I sound a real wet blanket but I do wish people would tell it like it is.  I used to think when we retired we would move to our place permanently but in recent years we've both started to have second thoughts.  I think now it's best to keep a foot in both camps.  Sorry again for sounding so negative.

Collette - I think you are telling it like it seems to you! OK yes, winters can be long, and the temperature drops occasionally; yes, a couple of years ago it rained for most of November and most of February, and this year it rained for most of March. But, inbetween the sun shines and the Charente is a wonderful place to be.

Yes, I've been a bit bored by the end of the winter, but that's because I earn a crust as a garden maintenance bod so am desperate by March to get out there and start strimming again! None of my friends seem to get bored, some work, some don't but most have lived here happily for over 4 years and, like me, wouldn't swap it for the world. However, they all wanted to come in the first place! If you don't think you'll enjoy year round living here, you definitely won't; like anywhere, you really have to want to live there, to be happy.

Helen

If you haven't topped yourself after Colette's message - don't fret! Charente life is fantastic. We have been here a year now (even spent one of those winters in a mobile home) and love it. This is by far the best place we have ever lived, and it is the people here that make us feel that way. My wife used to nurse in the UK before we left, and is glad to be out of it. We are taking time off to do up the house before we go back to work / start looking.

Neither of us speak very good french, but the more you practice the better you get - and we have found that at least trying to speak french goes a long way.

If you feel like touching base with other Brits when you arrive, then PM me and I will send you our details. We live near Vitrac in 16.

Good Luck, or should I say Bon Courage!

Warren

Helen/Racheal

Hope you havenn't been put off by a couple of these letters.............  Life here in the Charente is what you make it.  We've been here - full time - for a year and wouldn't swop it for anything.  Last winter was - at times - cold and wet but no worse than the UK and in between the sun was lovely and warm and chased away any nigglling doubts!  The people are great if you meet them half way and only too pleased to help you settle in.  Hopefully, you will come with open minds and find a job that you enjoy.  In terms of the language problem - we too had Michel Thomas and some school French but we have progressed a great deal in the last year by attending classes here and just talking as much as we can to our friends and neighbours.  They are just so pleased that we try hard.  Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

Hi,

Well we're in the opposite camp - in that I can carry on working with my current company when we move - I'll just work remotely via computer and occasionally have to take the TGV to Paris to our french offices or the plane to get to Cambridge. My hubby on the other hand will be at more of a lose end - he will take on the garden and the hens. He is a qualified swimming teacher / coach and can manage a pool - but hasn't done this for a while - so he's the one wondering exactly what he'll do all day - although I'm sure that he'll have plenty - and we've already found out about local french classes etc for him and our son will be at school . We know we'll need to work atgetting accepted - but this probably won't be that different to getting accepted in the village we live in now - as long as we make the effort things will work out.....and cold evenings in front of a fire with a good book, some music and spending time with the people I love - bliss. 

The biggest draw for us - is that we will be able to live well on one salary and we'll see each other for more than a passing nod in the mornings / evenings and have some quality back in our lives. I'm counting the weeks down.....

Think about what you like to do - and make some plans around that. If you're a midwife - check out with the authorities what you need to do to "convert" because I've read a number of articles on UK nurses working in France with great success.I'm sure things will work out for you - so all the best.

Liz

Hi

I think there has been some sound advice offered from all replies in this thread, including Collette's!

The best advice being that moving to rural France is really what you make it, and you really need to have your heart in it!  We moved to rural France two years ago, my husband was out at work from 7am to 7pm (he did a one hour commute) and I was home alone with two kids under the age of two.  I made a huge effort in the beginning and via this and other French forums I made contact with other young mums and quickly developed a social circle.  However, life was very lonely for me, and I quickly became very depressed.  When I look back now I realise it's because my heart was never in it.  We came because of my husbands job and not to live 'our dream'. 

You need to be very determined that this is what you want, and as long as you are you will be fine.  Of the friends I made, many were in the same boat as me, but equally, many were (and still are!) very happy and content.  Like I said, it's what you make it.

You really need to concentrate on getting your French to a high standard, and when living rurally there are many opportunities to do this.  I found the locals to be warm and friendly for the most part, especially other mums. 

Just be realistic in your expectations, it sure isn't a walk in the park, but it can be a dream come true for many.

Good luck to you both!

Nice to know there are some sensible folk over there who don't see life thru rose coloures glasses! We too will be moving to the Correze in early 2008 I am working hard to learn decent french  but as a registered nurse dont know if I'll ever be good enough to work! I'm also a qualified aromatherapist- is this recognised in France as I know they use a lot of essential oils taken internally as opposed to massage. The OH has his job sorted already working as an HGV driver for a French firm. I hope to spend some time out there on my own every couple of months (I get more hols than him) anyone wanting a chat or to meet up please e mail especially anyone in the Uzerche area  

Hello Rachel,

well the good news is that your chosen area has the lowest unemployment in France!

Here are some links that might help you or at least give you some ideas:

http://www.centremploi.com/une.asp

http://www.limousin-emploi.com

http://www.manpower.fr/interim/Region/LIMOUSIN/

(sorry for some reason I can`t make them into live links)

I think your right to start thinking about your future work, it`s all very well people saying it`s sunny and the folk are charming, but their probably not charming enough to pay your bills, (or maybe they are in the Limousin!)

Could perhaps any of the people who responded saying "what a bunch of negative nellies" actually tell us how they are earning a living, or what they plan to do once the pot of gold has run out? because as far as I can see the "rose tinted people" are just spreading around the same type of unreal expectations as those TV programmes.

Norman.

I think that Norman may be right about the "pot of gold" running out.  It's about to do so for my family who are having to think seriously about the feasibility of staying in France.

My daughter had studied French for four years part-time, passing her A level, she can converse fairly fluently with French friends and neighbours but she is beginning to think that this will never be enough to obtain full-time employment. She currently works on a temporary summer contract in a restaurant and feels lucky to have obtained at least something job wise.

Her husband was hoping to obtain HGV driving having done this in the UK.  Before he could even be considered for jobs he had to pass a course (all done in French) cost was around 600 euros, called the FIMO which I understand HGV drivers in France are expected to have.  Unfortunately this didn't help him to obtain work but he was lucky to have some qualifications in cooking and does part-time work in this field. 

Obviously they are happy with all the plus points of living in France as we all are, but they are having to be realistic that their current income in part-time jobs that pay the minimum wage won't continue to pay all the bills and bring up a family once the savings are gone.

Suppose this is a bit of another negative posting but for those who have enough capital and skills to set up a business I am sure there is every chance.

Hi All

thank you all for your replies, I dont know about Racheal but personally I feel a bit more confident that I dont actually have to be lonely or bored and I wont if I make the effort. Its never easy doing something new but this is what we have worked for, I think there is plenty I can do, even if it is not what I have been doing.

We have been in France when the weather has been truely awful solid rain for weeks, but it hasnt exactly been great here either at times and to be honest you can be just as isolated and lonely here in the uk.

The house we have bought is in a town, so not isolated, I will meet people when shopping and later other mums when the girls start school. Our neighbours who we have already met, are truely lovely people and seemed genuinely pleased that we were moving in, many are realatives of the lady who we are buying the house off.

Also last but not least I now know that there are other english people not a million miles away, who hopefully I will get to meet, although we are moving to France for a different and hopefully better life, it will be nice to meet other english people in the area and to share experiences and tips

thanks again

Helen

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks for all your advise! I've been in France over the summer holidays so have missed all the replies.  It seems like there has been a real mixed response to moving to France from you all.  I am  realistic about the fact that we need to earn a crust, which is why I voiced my concerns in the first place.  After reading everyone's advise though, I can't say I have been put off.  I suppose I am going with an open mind - if we cannot make it work (financially) then we will have to return, but we will give it at least 18 months for a fair trial.  When we were out this summer we made enquiries reg; Simon and work availability.  I am glad to say there is plenty for all, albeit with the English projects.  As long as it's money it will do.  I haven't ruled out some earlier advise of chippy's mate, although the Hot-Tub sales person is a big no no, thanks but no thanks.  I did discover a big gap in the area, plumbers! I have looked into courses but they are all about 2 years+ and I only have 6 months to go...any ideas out there?   I also registered myself for an art exhabition next June - just for the crack! Who knows where things could go....miracles can happen!  I have qualified as a risk assessor since my last posting, only level2 but it might come in handy if I can get into care over there.  I have a few more avenues to explore before we go and I'll keep you posted. Thanks to Norman too, I'll be looking into the web sites you gave me. In the mean time thanks again, it was reassuring and interesting to read what you all had to say.

Rachel

I have watched over the last few years the influx of people moving to the Limousin, mainly due to the price of property and the flights from the U.K. into Limoges.In my experience of talking to people, the ones in the building trade seem to be making a decent living as there is a huge shortage of artisans.I think if you are happy with a quite life and love peace and tranquility you cannot go wrong.I also think integration is easier when you have littleones as you get to meet other parents.On the down side, I do not think it is cheaper to live there if you want a decent standard of living, the rates are cheaper thats about it.Learning the language gives you a good start but I think the chance of getting a job are pretty grim , there is no work in the part of the Limousin I live in and I see most people commuting to Limoges now,unheard of 15 years ago.As for keeping chickens, the only reason would be for the quality of eggs and meat, you would have to kill one a week to help your shopping bill,you can get two for five euros in carrefour, I know the quality would not be as good,but I do not think keeping chickens will make a big difference to the housekeeping bill.But all said and done the quality of life must be better, with the quite roads, clean air and choice of good food.I really wish you luck and hope it turns out well.Like a previous poster, I keep changing my mind about retiring in France,but my O.H. loves his daily pint at the pub and I know he would miss that aspect of England if we retire to France.Bon Courage.