stage de preparation in English????

kevandvix

Hi[:)]

We've recently been to see the Chambre de Metiers about starting an 'entreprise' as a joiner.  We were initially advised that we would have to go on a week long stage de preparation but after discussions with the advisor we were advised that due to the fact I had been self employed in Britain for many years and the fact that my level of French means that I wouldn't get much out of the course (!!) it may be possible to register without it. 

However I feel that it would probably be beneficial to do the course but it would need to be in English.  I know that some of you out there have been able to do this.....can you tell me where you are??  I would be willing to go to another dept, but does anyone know if this is allowed? ie are the courses the same nationwide? 

Any advice much appreciated

Kev (58)  

Kev,

We did the course in English via the Chambre de Metiers in Limoges run by a rather pompous and self aggrandising Scottish (nb his pompousness was not a function of his scottishness) man - I don't know whether you have to live in the Dept to do it but even if so it should be fairly easy to blag your way in.

Email Martine Pujol : [email protected] for an application form

cheers

Kevin 87

All very well doing it in english but HOW will you manage to run a business in French unless you start out with french, because materials and such have to be ordered in french,paperwork in french and deal with french clients and you will also have to deal with the various bodies too in french especially an accountant and les impôts. I certainly wouldn't have benefitted us to do the course in english when we first started out.

[quote user="Val_2"]All very well doing it in english but HOW will you manage to run a business in French unless you start out with french, because materials and such have to be ordered in french,paperwork in french and deal with french clients and you will also have to deal with the various bodies too in french especially an accountant and les impôts. I certainly wouldn't have benefitted us to do the course in english when we first started out.[/quote]

Kevandvix most certainly won't benefit either, if its in a language he cannot understand.

One step at a time, it doesnt take long to learn how to deal with suppliers, they want our custom just as badly!

As for les impots, all my tax return info is in english !

Hi Kev,

We've just returned from a meeting with an accountant who is advising us on the best method of setting up our business.  He said that we could attend the course in any department and is contacting Angouleme, Poitiers and Limoges for them to send us their timetables for the next courses in English.  We can then make our own reservation for the course that suits us best.

Liz

Hi Liz,

I read with interest the responses for this course and I also would like timetables for the english speaking courses at Poitiers, Angouleme or Limoges if at all possible. I am based in the Charente  ( close to Ruffec ) and am about to embark on a journey into the unknown.

P.S. is your accountant english speaking? 

email    [email protected]

with thanks

jan & dave

MOH did the stage course in Angouleme earlier this year - he actually did his in French as his French isn't too bad. The English courses are held less frequently, so he would've had to wait but the guy we spoke to at the Chambre de Metiers said that due to the long wait, it's possible for Brits to register and get their SIRET No before doing the course (this isn't available to folks doing the French course). (Make sure you have plenty of work lined up though as you have to start paying the cotisations from the date you register).

The English course costs more as an interpretor is involved. I've heard (on here perhaps?) that the courses cost less in Limoges.

It's a good idea to visit the Chambre de Metiers though as you have to book. They also visit local towns - Roumaziers, Confolens and perhaps Ruffec - ask at the Mairie.

Accountants: An accountant in Civray speaks English - G2A

If you are setting up as a micro-entreprise, you don't need an accountant. The paperwork is simple and you get help in writing factures/devis on the course.

There is a stage  in English starting tomorrow in Anguleme, €300.  A friend's husband booked a place last week over the phone. It maybe worth calling to see if they have any more places, if it's convenient to get to. The next one is being held in December.

The phone number for the CdeM is 05 45 90 47 00. The Company Support Departmental Manager's name is Charles Daviaud.

Kev

A bit late responding, sorry - they do English version of the course in Perigueux too (same guy as Limoges I think).  Beware, although the courses may all be similar, the costs and frenquency aren't.  To my knowledge, Limoges is the cheapest and held most frequently out of Limoges, Angouleme and Perigueux (were a few months ago anyway).

You're right to do it in English.  We did, and understood 100% of it.  It's important you understand everything.  forms etc can be translated at your leisure, and as for French speaking clients, suppliers etc the chances are it will be on a 1 to 1 basis and so is completely different...

Good luck.