work to get a carte vitale?

alma

My friend has been here for about 6 months with her son after separating from her husband. Due to circumstances she is finding it difficult to obtain necessary info to obtain her carte vitale.  She thinks that if she gets employment her carte vitale will be supplied without having to go through Newcastle.  Is this the case and would it have to be full time (35 hours p.w.) or could it apply also through the Chaque Emploi scheme.  She is registered for work but has not applied for several jobs because they were under this scheme.

I can only speak from my own experience. When I first started working in France my employer wanted to know my Social Security number. I could only get that by applying for a Carte Vitale. It's not something your employer can do for you. Each of my subsequent employers wanted the number - without it they can't pay your contributions.

I'd advise your friend to go and see the local permanence for the CPAM she falls under. Ours is very helpful. You'll find it by Googling on Google France with keywords "permanence"  "CPAM" and the name of your nearest town.

Good luck. 

The opposite for me.  When I first came here it was my first employers who did all that for me.  Before carte vitale anyway.  We had those bits of paper then.

When I changed from MSA to CPAM, I received another number.  The first one was 'temporary' apparently, and had lasted 10 years...

It is so long ago I can't remember the documents I had to produce.

i found that when i was first employed on salary that my carte vitale was organised by my employeri didnt have to do anything apart from supply my details to my employer the employer dealt with the paperwork and i recieved a carte vitale maybe a couple of months later i dont know if this is the norm but it is how it was for me i was not employed full time and had no dealings newcastle or any other organisation in france as i obtained employement through private contacts (i was not registered with the anpe at the time)