Opportunities for a young man willing to do anything to live in France.

sbfilm

I wasn't quite sure where to turn with this question, I have been researching this for some time and there have been so many different answers that my head is spinning. But, I thought since everyone on this board seems nice and adult (quite a relief from the usual forum drudgery), I'd give it a shot.

First, let me start with a bit about my background. I'm a young man, living in America (but don't hold that against me =P), recently graduated from university with a degree in film and digital media. I'm an American citizen, but I have duel citizenship with the UK (I have an UK/EU passport). I'm extremely fascinated with France and French culture, and before I start down the long road that will be my career/life, I want so much to have the experience of living abroad. More than that, I want to learn French. I know a bit (enough to carry a slow conversation and order coffee, etc) and I spend a lot of time daily trying to learn more, but I know I'll only have true mastery over the language if I actually work/live in France and am able to fully submerse myself within the culture and thereby force myself to pick it up.

The difficulty, of course, is finding a way to do that. I don't really care where in France I live, I'd be happy to live anywhere where there is an opportunity to learn French and experience the culture (ideally I suppose I'd love to live in Southern France or Paris, but I'm open to anything). It would also be best of course to work in my chosen field (Film, photography or digital media), but at this point in my life, I'd be willing to do anything that could pay the rent of an apartment for myself. I don't even need to save up anything. I just want enough to get by for at least a year (more if I really love it).

So my question is, what is the best way to go about this? Is it even possible? I'm open to any and all advice you may have. I just want to find a job that will allow me to live reasonably comfortably. Where is the best place to look? Has anyone done this sort of thing that can offer advice? Thank you very much for  your input, I appreciate it.

Merci Bien (see I can speak a little)

Well I am going to try to answer your post, as it is your first one, but sincerely I am sure I will be spectacularly unhelpful, because ultimately all this is down to you, and the research you carry out.   

I suppose most of us over here have been in a position similar to yourself, when we first started thinking of moving over here, and it all seems so difficult, but the key issue is planning and research.   Or it should be the other way around - research first.

First thing I would suggest for you is to contact your university and see if they have, or can assist you with, finding a contact for a university in France that has a similar course to the one which you have just completed.   In UK most universities can normally rustle up a contact in another European country.   May be different in USA of course.   If they cannot help you then you may wish to try and search yourself.   If you find such a University, see if you can find a notice-board or find out whether there are any American students doing the course, with whom you can make contact, or an American society in (probably Paris), who can assist you.   

If you can find a contact via the University, who is able to converse with you in English, then they may well be able to answer many of your questions through one source, eg what are your work prospects, would your qualification be recognised in France, would you have any chance whatsoever of working with very little French, if you did have any prospect, in which areas are you most likely to find work?    The reason why I suggest this course of action is because you have indicated that you will need to make money in France in order to live.    If you do need to finance your stay through work, then, in my personal view, your first option should always be to investigate whether the work for which you are qualified is available, because if it is, and you are suitable, that would be your best opportunity to make money.   If you cannot find work in your chosen field, and you cannot speak French then I would suggest you are going to be faced with (at best) washing dishes in a restaurant in Paris.   At worst, no job at all.

Taking all this aside, I really don't know if you are anyway entitled to work in France, but I am sure someone else will know.

I am not sure this forum, unless there is someone who posts here who is involved in your subject area, is going to be able to assist you that much.

Good luck.

First of all, consider yourself lucky that you have a UK passport, because that has just made your life a million times easier.  You are definitely able to come live and work in France without having to go through all the hassle of getting a visa, carte de séjour, work permit, etc.

Second, it is extremely difficult to find a job in France, so if you are under 30, I'd like to suggest applying to become an English asssistant.  It'd be a good way for you to come and spend a few (paid) months over here to see if you really do like it.  You only teach about 12 hours per week, so that leaves enough free time to take French classes, travel, etc.  You can also teach at all age levels, from elementary right up to univeristy, and the contract lengths vary from 6 to 9 months.  You won't get rich off the salary, but it is definitely enough to live off of.  The applications for the 08-09 school year come out in October, so you're right on time (here's the site for more info).

Good luck!

Around Paris and other major towns there will be a number of multinational companies - or French offices of multinational companies. They may be a bit more flexible (enlightened!) about who they take on and of course, there'd be a wider number of opportunities - some of which may (only may) not require instant fluency in French. If you're living in America, perhaps start with local American multinationals with a presence in France.

I'm in the same situation as sbfilm, except that I live in the UK. I am considering moving to France and currently drive trucks as a career. Do I need to get a French licence to drive trucks for a French company? My level of French is I can read and write very well but speaking and listening not so good and am looking at ways of improving it.

[quote user="EuroStar"]I'm in the same situation as sbfilm, except that I live in the UK. I am considering moving to France and currently drive trucks as a career. Do I need to get a French licence to drive trucks for a French company? My level of French is I can read and write very well but speaking and listening not so good and am looking at ways of improving it.
[/quote]

Yes you definately need a French licence. Our friend has recently obtained his which involved a three day course.

I'm sorry I'm not sure. I think it was 2 days of theory with a test at the end - in which our friend came top much to the amusement and amazement of the French drivers![:D] He then had a practical, which he passed as well (of course!).

Perhaps I should add that he had been working for a French transport company, but based in the UK, so was used to driving around France (on a UK HGV licence).

Thank you very much for all your input. It sounds like there are a couple options to research before I go, but most likely, a lot will need to be figured out once I get there. I'll just have to be persistent I guess.

I have another totally odd, completely subjective question. In everyone's experience: What was the process like of learning French in France if you knew none or little before going there? How quickly did you find you picked it up? Or, how quickly do you think I'd start to get it if I put myself into situations where I would be forced to use it, and actively made an effort to absorb as much as I could?

Obviously this is different for everyone and it might be silly to ask, I was just wondering if anyone had an experience they'd be willing to share.

Thanks again for all the help.