Do you have to register your business in France ?

audiop

Reading through some of the old posts on this forum I have read that it is not absolutely neccessary to register your business here and that it should in fact be avoided if possible, seems strange, so can anyone shed some light on this subject ?

• 7 months later...
Hi,

I run an internet based business selling products across europe. We are thinking of moving to France and would like to continue running the business from there. Would we need to register the business there or can we keep it in the UK? What would the tax benefits be for each country?

Also, if the business remained in the UK, would I be registered as employed in france or the UK? I would like to stay in France and join the system, but what would be the best way & most financially beneficial way of doing this?

Any advice would be great!! Thanks

i think ive posted about this before but.....if you run a business from your home and the business becomes in debt then your home could be at risk in order to pay the debts from the business. It would be more prudent to keep yourbusiness and your home seperate .... i think you can rent office space in your home to the business but that entails setting up a seperate business that just rents the space. you really need to protect your home from the business in some way so you need to speak to an accountant to make sureyouset this up in such a way that if all else fails you keep your home...... if anyone knows more about this please post..... 

Shimble is perfectly correct. There can also be taxation issues (professional tax vs habitation tax) and insurance problems. Benefits include the fact that you can claim a portion of your domestic electricity, heating etc bills against the business.

Another potential minefield is that if you have chosen the CU marriage regime to minimise inheritance problems, then business debts incurred by one partner can impact on both, and put the marital home in danger, whereas with the Separation de Biens, which is how an English marriage contract is treated, then debts and assets are usually treated separately for each partner.

So it definitely pays to take good, comprehensive professional advice.