joinery and building work

n11xxy

Hi,

I am time served joiner and have had my own

building cmpany for almost 20 yrs, We are hoping to move in early 2008

to the Limosin area and was wondering what work prospects are like, i

have two sons both time served joiners who work with me.

regaeds

Mark

Bob I dont mean to be rude BUT the guy was looking for advice not a put down!![:(] Have you got any good advice for him about how to get started ........... As that is what this forum is about [:)]

I know that it is impossible to get a good builder/ carpender for ages in my area, so once your legal I dont think you will find it hard to find work[:)]  

On the plus side, you don't need to take any exams but you (all 3 of you) will need to attend a week long course at the Chambres de Metiers in order to register and then get insurance. Fixed monthly payments to the state and insurance allow 6 to 700 euros a month. You'll be lucky to get work with the French and you need to be aware that the area is already overun with British 'builders' both legal and illegal trying to scratch a living. There are plenty of Brits around looking for tradesmen but speed is often more important than quality.

I am very grateful for any advice, we are moving out to France more for the way of life, and not just for work, I will do any exams thats necessary to keep legal just as I do in the UK, as i always say to my clients when they ask if im trained...'time served, not time wasted'..[:D] I have seen a couple of places that need work and will probably spend the 1st 12 months renovating it, but after that I will be looking to keep enough work coming in to tick over, like I said, we are m,oving for the way of life, not for the work.

thanks again, and please keep the advice coming.

Hi,

we have been looking at the Limosin area, maybe even as far down as Dordogne, near to an airport where likes of Ryanair fly to, we were looking higher up near Brittany or Normandy, with the intentions of being able to nip back over to visit, but as most of our family are up in lancashire we would still have a 5/6 hr car drive from the ferry up to lancashire, so thought it would be cheaper and more convenient to fly to blackpool or Liverpool.

Liverpool fly's to Carcarssonne dont they? Lover...ly area , and then you could come and do my house as I have been told I will have to wait a year and a half if I want a good builder , and I want it done now !!!![:(] cos Im a woman [:-))]

PS where in Lancs are you ? we moved to Cornwall from Houghton between blackburn and preston

from just outside sunny preston (Leyland)

well i like to think im the finest tradesman in the northern hemisphere ha ha!! well in the top 3 at the very least. As for your a woman, dont all women want it doing like yesterday never mind 'now'

and if all goers well  with the move i would be more than willing to have a look for you.

I Know Houghton quite well, we used to keep our horses  up there at Art Wilmars onn or just off Gregson Lane

thanks for any help to, do you regret the move? and how long ago did you move?

thanks

Mark

We use to live at the end of gregson lane , by the pub but before the rail crossing, went back for a visit couple of years ago cant believe all the new houses , where has the country side gone ?

Regret the move to Cornwall? or the buying of a place in france ?

No to both really, I love both places and am finding it very hard to put up a good argument to live in either place full time, although if I could find work in france I think it would sway it that way quite a bit, plus once all the work is done in the house in france so the house is more comfortable and we can get broadband , hubby will be happy, ( as long as hes wired in he will live anywhere) Have you had a look around the carcassonne area ? its stunning look at this, I have pinched it off another forum: 

http://www.sunfrance.com/film/CRT7.html

Plus there are still an awlful lot of houses still being and needing to be done and a shortage of good builders/ carpenders and especially plasterers, (who do real plastering )

Pads

What a great link!  The second half was such fun spotting places that I know and love, and the first half was all places that I look foward to visiting over the coming years.  If anyone ever asks me why I moved here, I shall send them this link.[:D]

All you need to register is a letter from your previous employer (which will be your building company) stating you have been employed as a joiner with them for a number of years.

You will however have to attend the mandatory course with the chambre du metiers, which is only three days and not a week. The course in Limoges is delivered in English by a friend of mine so you will have no bother understanding the information. Even if you do not live in Haute Vienne you can still attend the course there as I live in Creuse.

We have lived in Creuse for three and a half years and you would have no bother at all finding work there. It might be slow at first to pick up but when people hear you are good then the work will roll in. If you are intending rennovating initially you could build your customer base up slowly. I see no reason why Haute Vienne and Correze should be any different.

I was intending starting a joinery manufacturing business but other work committments have not allowed me to do this although the barn is full of all the required machinery.

We got the opportunity to buy a house we regretted buying in 2003 in Brittany so our house, huge barn with building permit for conversion and four and a half acres will be going on the market in the next few months.

Cheers

We don't live in the Limousin, but if the Gers is anything to go by there's plenty of work for joiners. We are friendly with someone who has a menuiserie business, and the main demand is for doors, windows and staircases, usually made to measure from oak.

Hi Mark

I am a Joiner, having my own business for over 20yrs in the UK., and have lived here for over 2 years. In the years building up to the move we came accross at every opertunaty to renovate our first Gite. Now we are here and settled its a great way of like. We dont "go out to work" here but do return to the UK every couple of months or so just to do bits of  work for my regular customers. All declared (before anyone starts). It seems to work fine.

Best of both worlds and why not.

nich

If I had a job out there, it would be france, but sadley I dont, but one day I will convince my hubby we can do with out my wages, and that he is happy to support my spending sprees .....................[blink] and I will be out there. I dont think it will be long now [:)] He can live anywhere with his job as he goes away anyhow. But hes worried about me being on my own with limited french, ( Im not )  so im learning fast. [:)]   

to be honest we have not made up our minds where, as long as its reasonably near an airport that we can get cheap flights back or for visitors then we have an open mind, we are going out for 5 days at begining of Feb to look at approx 10 properties in the Limousin area, but by no means made minds up yet, and Pads, I have a wife like that ha ha but if she is happy then im happy... makes lide far more easy going for me that way, and we are learning French too... quickly.. [8-)]