Cotisations

Celestine

Hi there,

Wondered if someone could enlighten me with some info on cotisations please? Have you good people already had your bills in for 2008? Which forms do you fill in and to whom do they go with your figures on? Do they go on the tax forms that are returned? Our tax office told us that we wont receive these until March - has this changed due to RSI now issuing the payments instead of URSSAF?

Thanks

I have just picked up on this thread because of the word cotistations and reading noticed that others had received bills in December, has my problem anything to do with this ?

Last June (2007) our daughter in law registered her new business with the chambre de metiers and did all ther relevant paperwork to gain the exemption of cotistations through the ACRE form, all was going well and she only had a small amount billed which wasn't covered by this form.  She was also told that if her income didn't go above a certain level, then she could also extend this for another two years depending again on the income, which she would declare 3 months before the anniversary of her commencement date.  In early December she had a bill for nearly 4,000 Euros!!!! from RSI for 2008 which came as a bit of a blow, as we were not aware of anything outstanding ., as she hasn't earned even half of that amount.  A French friend called them and asked why she had this bill, they said it was for compulsory retirement contributions, (which we beleived were covered by ACCRE) and they agreed to recalculate based on her 2007 earnings.  A letter was sent with the details of her income but she has only  received  a certificate which confirms her exemption for 2007 based on the amont she delared in her letter.  The first of the payments for 2008 is nearly with us and we have heard nothing more?  

any advise please?

Janet

• 2 months later...
Going back to these cotisations again, I have seen a leaflet that says it is possible to pay them monthly. Can this be set up once the bill comes in or does it need to be set up well beforehand? We are with MSA if that makes any difference.

If it makes you feel any better.................I've been registered and paying cotisations to the 3 caisses by prelevement automatique since 2004.  Usually I receive notification for the year's payments by the end of the previous year, but for 2008 I only heard from URSSAF, and that's the only payment I've been making this year so far.  I've rung RSI twice now to ask what's going on, as I received a letter from them last year saying all 3 payments were being rolled into one, and it would be to them.  I like to think it's because we make so little money!

If anyone else is in my boat I'd be pleased to hear about it as I fear an almighty bill when it finally arrives.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
I have been in touch with MSA and we can pay monthly but not until next year now, we are too late this year. Although we have been putting away about 40% of my husbands earnings for the cotisations, we are worried by some of the scare stories that we wont have enough to pay the bill when it comes in. Has anyone had the problem of not having enough money to pay their cotisations and what was the outcome please?

• 1 month later...

Hi Celestine

If you have been putting away 40% of your husband's earnings since he started his activity then you should be prepared for your bill when it eventually arrives. 

I have known people who have not had the money to pay their bills and they have come to an arrangement with the relevant bodies to pay in prearranged instalments until the amount is paid off.  It is definitely not a good idea to get into this situation though as you will still have charges accumulating while you continue to work so effectively, you are running to stand still and it is much better to just prepare yourself well from the off.

Lisa

I think we are maybe not being very clear about what constitutes "earnings".  If we are talking about turnover, then in a micro BIC 50% of it is written off for material cost (and that's usually about accurate) and then 24.6% is your cotisation charge of what's left.  So overall, yes, you only keep about 25% of what you take.

But if we are assuming that we are only talking about the "imposable" amount to start with, then about half of it will go in cotisations so if Celestine has been putting aside 40% then she only has a small shortfall to make up.

Lisa