I want to be... a Lumberjack

Nick Trollope

Actually, I don't want to be an electrician (my only transferable skill).

What I really want to be is a computer programmer. Many moons ago, I programmed in Clipper, Quick C, C+ and QB, but then some stupid b*****d invented Windoze so I gave up.

I've even got a degree in the subject (from the days when they called it "computer science" when we wrote programs on punch cards and got the results on paper tape, or was it vice-versa).

What would the panel recommend?

My SILtb is a lumberjack. Calls hisself a "tree surgeon", but I can't help thinking of Michael Palin (Edit: OK, so it was Eric Idle Edit 2: Or was it?)...

In return for some good leads, I will reveal the source of an excellent demi-sec champagne (note the small "c"), for 1€09 a bottle....

Nick, Will's suggestion is not so far of the mark!  Some French banks (Soc Gen is one I believe) still use Big Iron as is Euroclear in Bruxelles.  They are still in love with their IBM mainframes (and why not? no viruses, no crashes etc) so if your Cobol or PL/1 and JCL is up to it there could be an opening for you.

PM me if you want a name of an agent in this area.

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="Panda"]And I want to be a zoo keeper....[/quote]

You'll get plenty of good practise on here then. Apply to be a Mod..................grunt grunt.

[/quote]

Good idea, both jobs do include a fair amount of sifting through the brown stuff!

[quote user="Polremy"]That demi-sec c******** doesnt happen to be PolRemy does it? If so, you have been overcharged. I can get it for around 79cents (leClerc)[/quote]

Hell no! Not enough useful information forthcoming to allow me to share this particular gem.

So, getting back to my OP, I have been playing with Visual Studio.NET (2008 V cheap from Amazon). Comes on 2 DVDs - the first commercial software I wrote (in Clipper Summer '87) had to run on a single 360K floppy...

Were was I? Oh yes; C# is very different to Quick C and VB bears no resemblance to QB. So I try Python - I can't trust a language that doesn't have a compiler - everyone can see just how inefficient my coding is.

I bought a new computer. Acer. Dual wotsits. 3Gb memory (see above!). Very nice. Vista. In French. French keyboard. Man, am I buggered.

[quote user="Nick Trollope"][quote user="Just Katie"]I want to be a train driver.[/quote]

I have a friend in the village who is a train driver. His wife is a trucker (and she looks the part...)

[/quote]

Why's that, is she always munching on a yorkie bar?